Zipp Vukasprint install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jezza995

by jezza995

Decided to loose some weight from the front end by swapping the alloy bars for Zipps carbon Vukasprint.

Current set up with 3T comfortable but heavy.

Old bar tape and Fizik gel pads are suprisingly heavy!

New bars, size 44 not that much lighter really 50 grams saving.

Quite a saving here though!

Different shapes of the two bars, slightly more reach on the Zipps.

Bars replaced and cables routed through the bars.

Wrapped and ready to ride.

Aero front end.

Zipps look fantastic and feel ultra stiff and comfortable, weight lost 153 grams! Easy to install, used the same outers but replaced the cables. Bar tape is Zipp Service Corsa, i like white but not sure if black would look better. Will also fit a Zipp Service Corsa SL stem at some point. The Campagnolo Zondas will have to go, some serious weight saving to be had there i think! Proper test ride report soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Hi what size were your ergonova bars? thanks

cerro

by cerro

What do you think of the handlebar now tried it compared to Ergonova?

jezza995

by jezza995

Ergonova bars are size 44, they are measured centre to centre at the bar ends but taper in towards the hoods so are more like a 42! The Zipps are measured edge to edge so i got a size 44, haven't had chance to ride with the Zipps yet, will post a review soon!

Werdna

by Werdna

Some of the best looking bars (Zipp) in my opinion (especially from the front!)

bura

by bura

It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.
The 44 cm Ergonova Ltd weighs 204grams.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

jezza995

by jezza995

Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!
In conclusion these are well worth the money in my opinion, they perform exceptionally well and look fantastic!

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

bura wrote:It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.

Why would he compare the Ltd as he owns the pro and bought a Vukka Sprint.

bura

by bura

NWSAlpine wrote:
bura wrote:It is ok to choose a carbon bar for weight savings. The weight comparision should have been done beween the Vukasprint and Ergonova Ltd.

Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
Isn't is predictable that you will save weight with a CF bar?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.
The Ltd is 3T's lightest CF series.

Further why compare the weight of full handlebar tape with half handlebar tape?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

gospastic

by gospastic

He's comparing because that's what he owns. What don't you get about that?

jezza995

by jezza995

bura wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:

Once more:Because the PRO is a alloy bar. So why compare the weight of a alloy bar with a CF one?
What is the point?
If it is to show that Zipp is lighter than 3T, wrong bar has been choosen for the comparision.

The only reason i've shown the weight of the removed bars and tape is because I wanted to see how much I saved by replacing them. Obviously the carbon bars and new tape would be lighter, I just thought as this site is called Weight Weenies someone might be interested !

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

bura wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:

What is the point?

Once again it's a simple comparison of what he had vs what he has now. Doesn't make sense to compare bars he doesn't own or doesn't plan to own.

If you used your logic then he should be compairing the weight of the Ltd to the Zipp Sl bar which is 170g. At the end of the day you are doing a comparison that makes no sense for this thread's intentions.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Back on topic. The bars look sick! I wanted to give them a shot but at the end of the day I went with the SC CSL because I much prefer the short reach and compact bars. Vuka Sprint short reach compact and I'm all over it.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

jezza995 wrote:Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!
In conclusion these are well worth the money in my opinion, they perform exceptionally well and look fantastic!

Perhaps someone could explain the supposed aero advantage of these bars, given your body is directly behind them and blocks the wind anyhow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jezza995

by jezza995

goodboyr wrote:
jezza995 wrote:Well test rode these today, very very happy with them! First thing I noticed was the reduction in road buzz through the bars, felt much smoother than the alloy Ergonova Pro. All positions are very comfortable even on the tops without bar tape, gloves definatley help here though, I can imagine the bare carbon would be quite slippery without them. My ride involved a few miles into a 30mph gusty head wind, the bike felt great slicing through the wind. I'm not saying the Zipps make a massive difference, it just felt a tad easier! Out of the saddle climbing efforts also felt good with no flex whatsoever. There is approx 7mm more reach with these compared to the Ergonova, I did feel a bit stretched so may go to a 100mm stem from a 110mm, however being slightly more streched helps to flatten my back so I'm not sure!

Perhaps someone could explain the supposed aero advantage of these bars, given your body is directly behind them and blocks the wind anyhow.

A massive amount of a riders energy is spent pushing through the air something like 80% according to Chris Bordman, so any surface pushing less air will have some benifit !