Light traditional hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've searched on this but not come up with anything. I'm wondering if there are any cup and cone hubs that aren't super heavy (or super expensive) compared to their cartridge bearing brethren.

I can see that there is inherently more weight in the design but something about the elegance and serviceability of traditional hubs appeals to me.

Taking front hubs, you can get something with cartridge bearings that weighs 80g or less fairly cheaply. As far as I can tell, mid-range cup and cones tend to be 150g+ and even quite expensive ones are generally well over 100g.

Are there any exceptions to the rule?

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I guess not then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Campagnolo Record are traditional cup & cone and as light as DT Swiss 240S.

If you're riding Sram/Shimano there's even the option to replace the freehub and use the appropriate 10 speed cassette.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Shimano Dura Ace 125 front and 254 rear (claimed) campag record 113 front and 231g rear (claimed by campag admit that those weight are without grease!)

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Good call on the Campags. Interestingly, the listings have a Record rear at 221g and 293g for 2007 and 2010 respectively. That's a big difference - what changed? (And in which year, I wonder.)

I notice you can get a set of Record hubs for about £175 in the UK. That's not bad actually.

ergott

by ergott

I've weighed Record hubs and they are about 114g and 231g (weighed two sets). In 2007 they were redesigned. Before that, they were silver. Now they are black.

styrrell

by styrrell

MajorMantra wrote:I've searched on this but not come up with anything. I'm wondering if there are any cup and cone hubs that aren't super heavy (or super expensive) compared to their cartridge bearing brethren.

I can see that there is inherently more weight in the design but something about the elegance and serviceability of traditional hubs appeals to me.

Taking front hubs, you can get something with cartridge bearings that weighs 80g or less fairly cheaply. As far as I can tell, mid-range cup and cones tend to be 150g+ and even quite expensive ones are generally well over 100g.

Are there any exceptions to the rule?

Just got a new DA 7800 rear for around $85 on ebay 270 grams and of course bullet proof and durable. The only drawback is its shamano 10 speed cassette only and I have some 9 speed and Sram 10 spd cassettes, so i'll have to modify it to work with everything.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Shame Record hubs only come in 32 hole...

tommasini

by tommasini

MajorMantra wrote:Good call on the Campags. Interestingly, the listings have a Record rear at 221g and 293g for 2007 and 2010 respectively. That's a big difference - what changed? (And in which year, I wonder.)

I notice you can get a set of Record hubs for about £175 in the UK. That's not bad actually.

whoever listed those weights included the skewers......which isn't how it's normally advertised now days.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Wingnut wrote:Shame Record hubs only come in 32 hole...

True, hadn't thought of that. I guess Campag figure that everyone buying their hubs wants an old-school wheel build. Shame.

Still, something like black Open Pro CDs and Record hubs would look quite cool.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Try getting your hands on Record quality hubs in 36 hole...rarer than hens teeth!

I have a pair of Mavic Mach 2CD2 I want to build up but alas they're 36 hole...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com