EVO Lighter still.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zitter

by Zitter

"The Black Edition is equipped with Shimano’s new Dura-Ace 9000 11-speed groupset, Enve wheels, handlebars, stem and seatpost, Fizik Antares saddle and Schwalbe Ultremo Light tubular tyres."

Also comes with the new SiSL2 crank

not too bad for 11.7k, how much would that be individually for parts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KH1

by KH1

Not sure what the California is worth in the US but last time I looked it was about 14K in Australia so 11.5K for a full build of that quality seems like a steal!
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Cannondale rarely advertise their weights as they state that there are many variables (it's on their website).

I think if they are stating the weight it would be pretty close to the stated weight, if not right on.

I'm a Cannondale guy, but I also smell bullsh*t quickly.

I think you'll find their weights are pretty good on this one.
Lefty heaven

maquisard

by maquisard

Yup, Cannondale never use weights in their advertising.

Love the * on the weight, because it sure as hell doesn't weigh 695gms. That is the Tour mag normalized nonsense weight.

Maybe this new one will actually weigh what they pretend it does! :thumbup:

( Mods - bbcode to resize image didn't work when I tried, the above is a tad on the large size )

konky

by konky

One does smell a bit of marketting bullshit with the Nano. It's only 40g lighter than the existing Evo. Cannondale could have offered a slightly different/lighter build spec. and shed 40g with ease. The 5.2kg weight is based on a claimed frame weight of 655g. If the 695g weight for the existing Evo is anything to go by the Nano bike claimed weight is dubious.

I don't think Cannondale can get away with such blatant misinformation this time. The existing lightest headline Evo frame is troublesome to weigh as it comes as a complete bike. The Nano claimed weight is for the complete bike.

artray

by artray

Konky wrote "I don't think Cannondale can get away with such blatant misinformation this time"
I hope thats true for the person who has just payed all that money for such a bike. If the bike does not weigh the advertised weight they should be made to give back $100 for every gram over.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

+1 :thumbup:

They won't though..

As long as the mamil's who have a little bit of the WW bug take the bait these things will sell..

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I like to see companies willing to got the WW rounte, so I applaud what they are doing. I imagine most of us (here on WW), wish most companies would push the boundies like this.

however..... :D

I am not a big fan of marketing.

The EVO NANO, very well, may be 40gm lighter because:
-they are using hardly any paint (less the the first EVO sl)
&
-perhaps different (lighter) paint
(like with the BH superlight and how they had Parlee help them do a super-light paint job)

I could be wrong, but when a company goes from there (great frames) like the HI-Mod and drop like 250-300gm and intro the Evo SL
........then a year, or so later, they say they have an NANO as if they redisigned a, relatively, new frame (by only 40 gms....claimed )

.....odds are it's marketing (as if they "redisigned the layup" or some "magic resin reducing technology" or something)(but, 40gm is 40gm too :D ....claimed.....even if it is paint :) )

I could be wrong, but I would bet, heavily, that the reduction of 40gm does NOT come from a difference in the frame of the Evo SL to the Evo NANO (I would bet it is a diference in paint)

I guess I am cynical :D
(P.S. this is not intended to sound intense :D )
Last edited by carbon2329 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

Zitter wrote:"The Black Edition is equipped with Shimano’s new Dura-Ace 9000 11-speed groupset, Enve wheels, handlebars, stem and seatpost, Fizik Antares saddle and Schwalbe Ultremo Light tubular tyres."

I don't see how they get to 5.2kg with that build, even without pedals. Unless they've splashed out on a Ti bolt kit, superlight cables and DA9000 is a lot lighter than I thought - it just doesn't make sense to me. :noidea:

djconnel

by djconnel

A lot of discussion over "mass" versus "effective mass", but in what I've seen the Evo is still about the lightest production frame out there. I don't think any of the other big names build up lighter right now.

maquisard

by maquisard

Well said, the killer feature of the EVO is not so much the frame weight, but rather the crankset. It would be very difficult to build up an R5 Ca that was as light as an EVO but also had the same crankset performance.