Experience with Token Jockey Pulleys?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I'm thinking about replacing the stock jockey pulleys in my Ultegra (6700) rear derailleur with some nice Tokens. Does anyone have any experience with them?

And most importantly, are they lighter? I have not had a chance to weigh the stock pulleys yet...

Other options like the FSA ceramics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roshea

by roshea

I just replaced my old 6700 pulleys with the TACX ceramic ones (T065; same price as the stock Shimano ones if you shop around). The don't seem to spin any better than the regular ones and I didn't weigh them, but the shifting is MUCH nicer now. Note that the stock ones had done nearly 20,000 km so they might just have been worn out.

SDP

by SDP

had tokens in my DA7800 for a bit ..noisier change tbh

went back to std top jockey & kcnc bottom

real improvement in noise & nice changes ..

109er

by 109er

I have them on all of my bikes. I've had them for a few years as well. they are just as quiet if you adjust the derailleur properly and if you don't have a worn out chain.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

ms6073

by ms6073

I modded the Dura Ace 7900 deraileurs on both road and cyclocross bikes with Tiso alloy jockey wheels w/Hyrbid Ceramics and while at 25g, they may not be lighter, they do roll smoother and the drive train is just as smooth and quiet as with the stock jockey wheels.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest I was looking at the Tokens purely on bling factor, but if performance degrades I'm not interested. If they perform just as well as stock then I'll pick them up.

Thanks!

lechat

by lechat

I'm using brand X from Toronto/Jersey Cycles. And while I can't tell any difference on the bike, they're lighter at 19gms/pr. + they're pretty snazzy looking, red with gold centers.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I got some of these off eBay for my Campag Centaur Image

They look sweet, can't tell any rolling difference of course, but they are hella light. Not bad for $47US all up I think :mrgreen:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I use extralite jockey wheels, I've used em with a chorus gruppo, and 2 differences super record gruppos

I also used my old extralite Jockey wheels to fix my friends very poor shifting 7800 reach mech, the Shimano jockeys were flogged within an inch of their lives and had a bunch of very unhealthy play. My 10000km old extralite jockeys got my mates bike back to shifting like butter.

I an't say that they work any better than the campag units but... They are much easier to keep clean and weigh half as much.. Which is the name of the game round hear. :mrgreen:

djconnel

by djconnel

Be interesting to see how well those eBay wheels wear.

Other day I git a piece of grass stuck in my pulleys and someone had to let me know...I never noticed. Unless the pulleys are almost totally frozen you won't notice at the pedals. It doesn't mean the drag isn't important. I'm curious how they spin. But more important when the teeth wear and the chain starts slipping that is likely extra drag. So don't run them too long... The advantage of the lighter weight is truly nicriscopic and easily offset.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

Would they do any damage to your chain, or vice versa? Just because I don't like the idea of metal on metal contact.

109er

by 109er

i feel like its a performance upgrade as well. no extra wear on the chain too.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

chazzawoods wrote:Would they do any damage to your chain, or vice versa? Just because I don't like the idea of metal on metal contact.

Well you have metal on metal contact with your chainrings so no real difference is there.

Murphs

by Murphs

chazzawoods wrote:Would they do any damage to your chain, or vice versa? Just because I don't like the idea of metal on metal contact.

Winning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

..just cause the jockey wheels have more revolutions than any of the sprockets or chainrings, i thought the wear would be accelerated due to this, especially since the are aluminium and not steel like most cassettes. Obviously not, but i might stick to plastic for now.
No, I am not trying to sell you something.