C59 training bike ... old alloy frame gets birthday re-spray

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MrBadbrush

by MrBadbrush

Baby C59 - Alloy Training bike

Not a real C59, but my old training bike given a birthday. The result of a long weekend spent with my plotter, compressor and spray gun and ... lots of very careful Mac-Tac masking. I put this on another blog but had to recoil from the chaos. Some people think its wrong, others think its funny ... I enjoyed doing it and enjoy riding it.

I've had the frame for 10 years and in that time its seen several transformations. Its a good solid frame and fits me well. Its equipped with a 105 group-set and Gipiemme wheels.

I've had several high end bikes - Madones, SL2's, and even a Storck but I never 'warmed' to them. Those 'pro- racers' have been and gone whilst this old banger remains with me. The other small addition is my Nobi race-plate http://www.nobi.co.uk A gift from a friend who thought I'd like the number 101 (wiggins). Why not!

This simple, low cost bike clocks over 150 miles each week with no issues. And because its alloy I will never fall victim to 'carbon delamination.'

Weight 8.2 kg's

Thanks for looking - Mr. Badbrush.
Last edited by MrBadbrush on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

If something this good is wrong, I wouldn't wanna be right! Big Colnago fan here, but this is still just a bang up job, looks really well done and I still suspect the pics isn't doing the paintwork full justice...

CBJ

by CBJ

Nice job but I would have spelled Colnago another way and called it C65 or something just to have fun.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Pardon my ignorance, but what make and model are the frame and fork? Are they actually Colnago? Is the frame fully aluminum, or does it have carbon fiber stays?

Oh yeah, and whether or not it's actually a Colnago of some model, perhaps you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit from Ernesto, now that you have "published" this on the internet, even though you did provide a disclaimer.

fa63

by fa63

I think it is a bit silly, but to each their own...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I think it's great, but personally would have done a tongue-in-cheek with your own brand "Colnogo" since it's a training bike anyway.

Also this thread -> Intro/Gallery, not in Road. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

It's slightly mad, but hats off to your paint skills.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

HammerTime2 wrote:Oh yeah, and whether or not it's actually a Colnago of some model, perhaps you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit from Ernesto, now that you have "published" this on the internet, even though you did provide a disclaimer.

That would only be an issue if he were selling it. There's no problem here.

critracer26

by critracer26

I can't get on board with fake bikes. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to waste time on something like this. When I worked for BMW many years ago people would buy m3 tags for the cars all the time. Why bother?

critracer26

by critracer26

I should add that quality wise it's very well done. Atleast you put some effort into it.

c50jim

by c50jim

I own eight or nine real Colnagos. Originally got into them at least partially because of the paint, although I love the bikes.

I think this looks great, which I think is what you intended. I'd agree with naming it something slightly different too, but it's your bike. If you were local to me, I probably have a real Colnago that could use a re-paint job!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

:welcome: to WW.

I like the paint job... but would also have gone for something slightly more tongue in cheek.

Moved here to intro section, where this thread belongs.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

HammerTime2 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what make and model are the frame and fork? Are they actually Colnago? Is the frame fully aluminum, or does it have carbon fiber stays?

I don't know what this is but I almost bought a NOS Taiwanese made Colnago back in 2008 that looked similar. Aluminum with carbon seat stays like that.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

jsinclair

by jsinclair

This is great, hats off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roobay

by Roobay

Great paint skills but to the trained eye not that convincing
To the untrained eye... Well what's the point most people when I ride my C59 say oh that's a nice looking bike I bet cost about £1500!
i like people... i just can't stand assholes