EVO Lighter still.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH1

by KH1

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news ... -3920.html

Is there a lighter production frame available today?
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

Incredible weight.

5.2kg has to be the lightest off the peg bike by some margin. Anyone that has built a lightweight rig knows how hard it is to get lower than that even with custom uber light German componants and 'climbing' wheels.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Its interesting that they claim virtually equivalent air drag to competing aero roadies because of reduced tube diameters.
I wonder how an old steely compares to a modern aero roady in that respect.
r o y g b i v

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

That's 5.2 with out peddles or bottle cages remember..

And for that much money you can have a much nicer bike that weighs the same.

Impressive for one of the big companies but I'd never waste my money on one.
Last edited by sugarkane on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

BobSantini wrote:Its interesting that they claim virtually equivalent air drag to competing aero roadies because of reduced tube diameters.
I wonder how an old steely compares to a modern aero roady in that respect.

Didn't Tour include the Evo in their frame test?

IIRC correctly from 0 degree wind it is aero but with typical yaw values it loses ground quickly. The RCUK article re. 14g drag is meaningless without this kind of context.

Apparently they feel dead which isn't what I'd want in a frame, even if it's 300g lighter than anything I've got right now.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LouisN

by LouisN

sugarkane wrote:That's 5.2 with out peddles or bottle cages remember..

And for that much money you can have a much nicer bike that weighs the same.

Impressive for one of the big companies but I'd never waste my money on one.

+1

And that's a CLAIMED weight.

We might encounter two or three weenies that buy a (very small limited edition) frame close to those numbers. For the other few dozens who buy the ones weighing the extra 100 g...

Louis :)

ave

by ave

>And for that much money you can have a much nicer bike that weighs the same.
Nicer? That's not very likely, if one finds the EVO nice. Many do.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Sorry but for what amounts To $11700 US I'd want something a bit more unique
It's a bit like a ministry of sound CD pay the money get what seems to be Kool/in/hip... Etc
If your gona drop that kinda coin on a bike that's 1.5kgs under the Uci weight limit wouldn't you want to at least get a pair of THM cranks?

konky

by konky

Not everyone wants to buy a frame and do a build. The currant Evo is a light frame but you can only buy a full build which is pretty average in weight.

The new Evo at 5.2kg for a complete bike is very light and for the first time offers a complete bike at a genuine WW weight.

Very impressive in my view.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have to agree with Sugarkane on this one (not that the two of us have any history of disagreeing). If i were to spend that much money on a new bike i would prefer to individually pick each and every part.
I would like to know if Cannondale launched this very light production model because they thought there was a market for it, or simply to show that it'a not that hard to build/buy a very very light bike. Much lighter than what the pros are riding fx.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I think here on WW there will be plenty of people who don't think the 2013 cannondale supersix evo nano is very good value. Cannondale is rarely 'good value'.

However, they should be applauded for the effort they put in. Without brands capable of proper r&d what would the lazy brands have to copy a few years later!

I kinda sit on both sides,

yes no doubt any WW member could build as good a bike for less or a lighter bike for the same.id certainly like to see someone buy a nano frame and build it to the limit! Just how much lighter is possible.

Not everyone wants to build a bike, what with all the shops constantly telling them if they change their own brake pads they'll die!!!! I was told that I shouldnt buy zero gravity brakes as they were dangerous!!! They happen to be just fine thank you, and now SRAM is half copying the idea... Fancy that!!!!! What was I saying about true r&d and lazy copying.........

Keep it up cannondale. I wouldn't buy anything else.....

airwise

by airwise

I certainly wouldn't waste my money on a boutique brand when the likes of Cannondale and Trek are producing class leading bikes.

I buy a bike to ride it - not to impress other people on the road or Internet.

djconnel

by djconnel

Cannondale and Specialized in particular have had a long practice of producing top-level complete bikes for the "money is no object" component of the market. You can do much better picking and choosing your own components: I suggest you even price out the components stock on the bike and I suspect the bundle can be had for a significant savings. It's just to separate people from their stock options.

On the frame side: the original Evo was an "effective weight" which was adjusted downward for various features. If this one is indeed lighter than the previous that's impressive, but let's see the real-world numbers.

artray

by artray

+ 1 lets see the real weights . So far we still have not seen an Evo as advertised at 695grms. It seems to be the same with almost all off the shelf bikes and also parts . So many times you see someone dissapointed with the weight of there frame and then they say "well its still a pretty good weight" they would say that after spending $5000 on a bike . The advertised weight should be what it is in real terms not a bare frame unpainted and no hanger no paint etc etc. Honesty .

sawyer

by sawyer

Perhaps the claimed weight will only be rolled out on complete builds??? :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com