HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am 

So I have this baked at a shop with a special shimano oven. I feel the overall fit is better, nice and snug.

however the toe box is squeezed in too much on the outside and resulting in a bit more numbness than before especially the right foot where the vacuum form was done really tight.

Does anyone know what is the specs of the shimano oven to bake the shoe to, and is it possible I use a heatgun to carefully warm up the area and free up my toe box a little?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 am 

A lot of better shops will allow you to have a 2nd heat molding session for no additional cost. Regarding a using a heatgun, as long as you don't allow the temperature to get much higher than you can achieve with a hairdryer, I'd say you should be OK to try it yourself. Perhaps actually put the shoe on and then heat the area that is too tight. With your foot in the shoe, it should expand a little in that spot. Good luck!

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:22 am 

I have had two pairs of shimano heat moldable shoes so far- namely the shimano R310 and TR70 ( yes I dabble in tri- don't judge me!)

some comments:

Shimano states taht each pair of shoes can be heat molded up to 3 times, so you are still good. you can go back to the store and have them re-heated and re-molded if you really want.

The Heat 'molding' effect will gradually wear off- say after about 2 years, deoendiong on how often you ride of course. after which you can remold them. mine are about in line for a new-remolding.

the shop I go too has been doing the molding for awhile ( as official shimano distributors, they are the ONLY ones who do it in my city) and they have tuned the process slightly. for example depending on customer preference they may decide to leave out the vacuum bag process, which I did for my TR 70. you can ask your shop if they will do this for you. they also advise customers to ride the shoe for about 1000 km after molding to 'break it in' and come back and re-mold it after that if they feel its necessary.

my advice would be to ride it around for abit and see how it breaks in, then if you're not happy with it go for a remold. re-molding is cheap, my shop usually charges 8 pounds for a remolding.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:44 am 
Administrator

I bought Shimano's first moldable shoe the R300. I did as most recommended and rode them about 100 miles and then had the molding done. The fit was and still is awesome. I have always liked the fit of Shimano shoes. Getting to a dealer that can mold them means a serious road trip for so since then I have bought at least 3 more pair, road and mountain, that I have not had molded and I still find the fit excellent. While I guess molding works for those with fit issues unmolded but doesn't do much for the person that feels comfortable in the yet to be molded shoe.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm 

I have ridden 5000 miles before molding mine, I was thinking tight area would stretch on its own eventually.. I actually didn't have problem with it not molded. Seems like I can spin better after the molding.

For now didn't want to remove the cleat and have them bake it the second time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 am 

I currently own 3 pairs of the fully moldable series. I've found that after using them for the last 5 or so years, Any other cycling footwear just feels inadequate. I'm pretty much stuck in these forever.

My shimano rep told me they'd molded the same pair 8 or 9 times and it still seemed fine. They wanted to see if there was an upper limit. If the toe box is too tight, i'd certainly encourage you to try and stretch it out,as they really are the best shoes ever once you get them dialed. If you have access to a hair dryer, it'd be a lot safer. A heat gun may discolour the materials in the shoe, as the temp ramps up really quickly. I've done some minor adjustments using my toaster oven on the 'keep warm' setting and that's worked well.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 am