Riding in Los Angeles Area

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hello guys,

I will be in LA (Santa Monica) from the end of August to mid September - my first time in the West Coast.

I would like to go for nice challenging rides a few times a week. I'd eventually love to ride with the WW who live there and would take me with them since I don't know the area :oops: :noidea:

Thanks & cheers :beerchug:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I would definitely recommend doing the Mulholland Madness ride, if you feel like you can get a century with 10k in climbing under your feet for the day. We've been having some miserably hot weather (I think it was reading 104 at the top of the climb on Saturday) as of late, so I'd actually recommend staying away from too much climbing.

The other great ride right in my own backyard (La Canada) is the Angeles Crest Highway route. It can be ridden as an out and back, and the climb and descent is pretty epic. Another great ride is in starting in Duarte going up Glendora Mountain Road all the way to Mount Baldy - Very fun climbs weather permitting.

And last, but not least - we have the Pacific Coast Highway. Start in Santa Monica, head up through Malibu, then take the course inland to Camarillo, then back. You can easily get a lot of distance without too much work and every inch of this ride is absolutely gorgeous scenery. Ride safe brother.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

CerveloBert wrote:I would definitely recommend doing the Mulholland Madness ride, if you feel like you can get a century with 10k in climbing under your feet for the day. We've been having some miserably hot weather (I think it was reading 104 at the top of the climb on Saturday) as of late, so I'd actually recommend staying away from too much climbing.
To clarify and translate for a non-American:
* century mean 100 miles (about 161 km)
* 10k in climbing means 10000 feet of elevation gain (a little over 3000 meters, or if interpreted literally, 3048 meters)
* 104 is degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius)

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

LOL - Thank you very much HammerTime2. Here in America, the mountain climbs you!

roca rule

by roca rule

according to some at bikeforums.net yellow hill in malibu is the third steepest mile in california and the steepest mile around or second and averages at around 14-15% gardient.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

"yellow hill" ? :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

roca rule

by roca rule

prendrefeu wrote:"yellow hill" ? :noidea:

According to google maps yellow hill rd is off yerba buena rd which is off highway 1, but I have never been there since I live all the way to San Gabriel valley.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

roca rule

by roca rule

Here it is.I believe is something of a private road.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clien ... CA0Q8gEwAA

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Werdna

by Werdna

:up: +1 for PCH.
99% of my riding is on PCH (From San Diego up to Long Beach)

Zitter

by Zitter

I definitely recommend Angeles Crest to Mt. Wilson and Mt. Baldy if you want some great climbing.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

... up little tujunga to camp 9 is also a great ride. Hell, all of the Angeles forest roads are great. Take care of the heat, though, as there are some routes that just have you constantly baking in the sun all day.
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, but y'all did read that he's staying in the Santa Monica area, right?

:wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

With our current heat wave, the Mulholland climb will be pretty challenging (damn near torture for me).

The PCH ride is nice, but if you want to do some climbing that wont kill you, try Topanga Canyon.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

Zitter

by Zitter

thousand oaks maybe?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm not local, but I'd be down to do a ride considering I might have to make a trip to Santa Monica here shortly to pick up some parts :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com