Garmin Outlet store

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dave67

by Dave67

I am looking to upgrade to an Edge 500, I came across the outlet. It looks to be refurbed units with a 30 day warranty, and save about $100 bucks. Has anyone had good luck with them, or should I just buy new?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

How is the warranty compared to a brand new unit?

I've had good experience buying a refurbished unit, and if the warranty is the same, I wouldn't hesitate to repeat it, as Garmin often is fair and nice to deal with if there is something wrong with the unit within the warranty period.

Dave67

by Dave67

A 30 day warranty is all they give. After some shopping around there price is not great.

ave

by ave

You are not referring this site, are you?
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/166 ... -Edge.html

jvanv8

by jvanv8

First, that company isn't Garmin.
Second, the prices aren't the best. (Edge 500 Bundles are ~$295 or the computer only ~$210)
Third, a warranty for electronics isn't as important as other bike parts. Most all Garmins die because of crashing to the ground, which won't be covered under any warranty, regardless of the number of days it takes to hit the pavement.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Leviathan

by Leviathan

OT but if Gamins die by hitting the ground then buy Polar instead. I threw my polar CS400 unit at a cars rear windscreen in a fit of rage after a race and it went straight through! Shattered the glass, the Polar was unscathed.

GramStrong
Resident Pro

by GramStrong

Leviathan wrote:OT but if Gamins die by hitting the ground then buy Polar instead. I threw my polar CS400 unit at a cars rear windscreen in a fit of rage after a race and it went straight through! Shattered the glass, the Polar was unscathed.

If the Polar is only going trough the windscreen, then buy an hand grenade.

mrfish

by mrfish

I would recommend buying based on customer service rather than price as things tend to go wrong with portable electronic gadgets. I bought my edge 500 from wiggle then sent it back after about 390 days after the mounting lug snapped with a note saying I was fed up being an unpaid beta software and hardware tester. It was refunded the same day with no questions asked. I have not had the same experience with other retailers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dave67

by Dave67

Thanks for all input. I picked up a new 500 bundle and the Barfly mount for a dealer. I hope it works well for awhile.