Kids Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

He did it again today... without LWs. hahaha

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

deleted
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willier

by Willier

:thumbup: for your kid and :beerchug: for you!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So, today we discovered that my son can fit comfortably on a Specialized Ruby or Dolce (in 48cm) or a Fuji SL (44cm). If I can find one of these framesets for a reasonable price I'll move his components from the Felt F-24 and share my wheels with him.

LouisN

by LouisN

I checked around at local kid's races.

A few very small 700c frames I noticed:

Kuota Korsa Lite XXS
Giant TCR alu size 43
Cannondale CAAD10 feminine

those are among the lightest choices.

Louis :)

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Don't forget the Pro Lite Cuneo. 50cm top tube, tiny head tube and really light at just over 1000g.

Massive :thumbup: to you and your lad. I ride with my little brother all the time who is 11. He's just done the Bedoin and Sault ascents non stop in under 2 hours in one week!

He's on a 650c giant with 650c Zipp 340s, it's still big on him and he's using a 60mm stem and short reach bars, but he absolutely loves it and looks really at home on it.

Estelja

by Estelja

There's a few Chinese generic carbon frames out there that are also small enough. One I am aware of is the Neasty RB-NT10:

Size 48
Seat Tube c-t: 48cm
Eff. Top Tube: 51.0cm
HTA: 69.4 (seems slack but maybe works on the small frames?)
STA: 74
Head tube: 11cm

You can find it on aliexpress and sometimes on ebay. Usually $500 or less.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks guys. We're moving to the Netherlands in just over 2 weeks, so we will wait until we get settled and start looking for a new bike in the Spring.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ted, are you and your son still on for Mt. Washington this coming weekend?

Also, when in Rome do like the Romans. When in the Netherlands, maybe give speed skating a whirl this winter? Maybe Ryjder is the second coming of Eric Heiden - might as well find out.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Yes, we'll be at Mt. Washington. I just finished installing an ultra-compact franken-crank on his bike. He now has a 34/24 up front with a 12-36 out back. Last year he used a 28/34 combination and found it a bit tall in places. This should let him spin through anything.

Will we be seeing you there?

He just went ice skating for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now he thinks he is Apollo Ono. Fine by me as long as he doesn't grow any ridiculous patches of facial hair.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Sadly, though I hail from the area, specifically, The Commonwealth*, l will not be there. I would like to have ridden it in my prime (probably would have been with a 42-24 :shock:).

When I think of speed skating, I think of Eric Heiden, who won gold medals in all 5 men's speed skating events in the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics, not this new fangled Apolo Ohno short track business. Eric was not a bad bicycle rider either. Those massive quads (and calves, etc.) and cardovascular ability help in speed skating and cycling. His sister Beth was pretty good in both speed skating and cycling as well.

* of Massachusetts

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I am a Mass-hole too. hahaha

I was a big fan of the Heiden siblings.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

xnavalav8r wrote:Before the snarky comments begin, EVERY other kid in the photo was from a race that started 5 minutes earlier.

Seriously though, wouldn't you have loved to have a moment like this when you were 8 years old? I am so happy my kid likes riding and racing bikes. We'll be doing this together until I drop dead and fall out of the saddle.

LOVE THIS!
Speedplay is the devil!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I wish I could have gotten a better video of the finish. My cell phone clip is crap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

xnavalav8r wrote:Before the snarky comments begin...

Don't worry about it. The folks on this forum are usually very good but I posted this video of my little brother to the cycling section of Reddit and all I got were arsey replies. There's clearly a lot of jealousy around cyclists and they're pretty insensitive sometimes. I'd have probably got a similar response from Slowbitch or Bikeforums but I don't frequent there.