Giant TCR SL1: Know anything about it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I've been scouring the web for a good aluminum race frame (not really interested in a CAAD 10 or Allez; other option would be Van Dessel). This Giant, which appears to only be available in Asia, looks like a really great frame; possibly even a rival to Canyon. Does anyone know anything about this frame or how to get one?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bik ... 736/52970/

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

This is my first time seeing it, but giant has started to release some of the 2013 entry level defy models so I'm guessing we will see a 2013 version of this in the next couple months. Just a guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

What do you think the odds are of this showing up in the US?

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

They only reason I can think of why it wouldn't sell here is because it may compete against giant's defy composite line guessing it would be in the same price range.

Ryan94

by Ryan94

For 2013 you will see an all new TCR Alloy SL bike in the US market. This will be a Caad 10 killer. (mid aug.)

We will also see a TCR carbon aero model. All the other 2013 models will shed some weight by not having the cosmetic layer of carbon.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Good news, thanks. My winter bike is a Giant TCR Alu 2012 and despite it is heavy, the bike is a dream to ride.

wineguy

by wineguy

I had a short ride on a 2010 version of these a couple of years ago. It seemed very good. Looks like it's changed quite a bit though since then.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Sorry this topic is old but Giant confirmed they are bringing the tcr Sl aluminum to the US for 2013, they claim it is lighter and stiffer than the caad 10

vidman

by vidman

Just got home from Giant dealer launch in Australia.
No TCR Adv Aluminium and I forgot to ask. :-(

Did see new TCR's and Defy's and TCX (plus MTB's, etc).

New Dura-Ace is very nice and the new FD feels real nice to operate on the shifters. Very light and nice SRAM like feel of the clicks and trims.

I asked about TCR Aero - no comment. But the new TCR Adv 1 and 0 both have low profile wheels. When I asked about this I was told that the TCR is considered a race/climbing bike (in other words, "we are already spinning the TCR to be a different bike so we can sell the TCR Aero with deep wheels"). Ah the games.. silly games...

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Nice colour scheme for 2013 - I like it a lot.

Hopefully I can check it live at eurobike.

SL1

SL2

SDP

by SDP

looks great

had problems replacing my TCR anodised this year ( accident ) & had a COMPOSITE as a replace

i would say the composite rides better than my advanced :shock:

its so smooth ...a bit heavier but just so damn ..well great

the advanced has hung up a lot more this year with all its nice bits on whilst my ultegra clad composite has been my main companion ..

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I saw these on the 2013 Giant site that just came up recently. I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go with the Overdrive2 fork, or at least a full carbon fork. This frame will be good for sure, but it could have been a great frame in the realm of the Canyon Ultimate AL; but available to those of us who live on the other side of the pond. I think the 2012 version from Asia had the Overdrive2 fork/HT... Too bad.

Ryan94

by Ryan94

HeluvaSkier wrote:I saw these on the 2013 Giant site that just came up recently. I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go with the Overdrive2 fork, or at least a full carbon fork. This frame will be good for sure, but it could have been a great frame in the realm of the Canyon Ultimate AL; but available to those of us who live on the other side of the pond. I think the 2012 version from Asia had the Overdrive2 fork/HT... Too bad.

I had a chance to ride this bike already. Its VERY stiff and responsive.

The OD 2 does not help this bike with anything other than added weight. The front end is PLENTY stiff with a standard tapered fork.

The fork on the bike I rode is full carbon and is made from the advanced grade carbon rather than the lower composite grade.

Ryan94

by Ryan94

oh. Frame weight is reported at 1050g, fork is claimed at 370g uncut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Thanks! That is a very promising report. Will it be available as a frame set only?