weapon of choice of olympic mtb

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

I would really love to see 650b spread more. I think they look much more "correct" (aesthetically speaking) than those 29ers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Anyone notice that seemed like a pretty simple/easy XC course? Definitely a lot easier than the world cup events...

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

It did not look THAT easy in person actually.

Sure, there weren't too many roots, but the technical bits looked quite tough.

devinci

by devinci

yeah the tech sections looked pretty hard IMO, the TV coverage didnt show all the major tech sections unfortunately.

I think it was an awesome course, mixing power and skills and also the tactical aspect. The men's race was very exciting.

Kulhavy's final move was plain sick, must have put out some decent wattage on the final hill

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Yeah, but I must admit, I didn't like the course when I saw the helmet footage as well. Overall the surface (besides the rock gardens), was too smooth. It's just not the same when a MTB race isn't in a forest or at least somewhere natural. On the other hand it was probably the best spectator-wise.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

It didn't look very technical from the bike radar preview I saw but here's & Kabush's thoughts on the course from velonews;

“People might look at this course and think it doesn’t look very technical, but there’s a lot of loose over hard-pack stuff and when you’re on your limit … it gets pretty dicey. I made a small mistake. And in the middle of the race, when fatigue starts setting in you have to be on point in some of these fast corners with loose gravel.”

pdxmech13

by pdxmech13

2002maniac wrote:I noticed a ton of 1x10 and 1x11.

The SR suntour fork is pretty wierd, but she stayed way ahead the whole race.

Hey there,

Thanks for noticing Julie on her SR Suntour fork. She rode it all last year and obviously had good results with it. Most folks don't realize that we have such high end product. The Werx edition with the carbon lowers comes in at just below 1550g. that is with a 15mm thru axle and uncut steerer. She was on the 26" but we will have the 27.5 and 29 available soon !

Best,
Nick

SR Suntour warranty and technical advisor for North America.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Any more pics of the bikes used out there??

Was there a weight limit?

Is it just me, or was there no lefty's????? Huuuuuu???

Also what were the retro white wall tyres half of them were running???

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Anyone riding Cannondales were on Lefty's. Notably Bronze medal winner Marco Fontana.

Whitewall tires? Do you mean the tubulars like Nino Schurter's bike above?

devinci

by devinci

there was leftys: Fontana (3rd) Fumic and 1 or 2 others

tan sidewall tires were most likely DUgast tubulars

hillrider

by hillrider

runningrunningjump wrote:
Was there a weight limit?

Good question,I was thinking about this too,anyone know the answer?

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Surprised there was nothing about Kalentieva on here...... she did finish fourth.

We did an integrated bar, stem, grip, bar end combo for her, which will be part of our product range next year. Did anyone get any photos?

Rich @ ergon.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The same rule as for every UCI race. Minimum weight 6.8 kgs.

I don't know if they weigh the mountain bikes, I'm quite sure no one has a bike that comes even close to 6.8. Sure, some of the light bikes here comes close, but for a sponsored rider it's not possible to shop around to get the lightest parts available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I think it will be a few years before we can get a 6.8kg race bike from a small group of sponsors. Maybe for someone like Irina Kalentieva as she weight next to nothing(46kg/101lbs according to her website) it will be sooner than the likes of Kulhavy! Can't imagine she breaks much equipment lol.

@ RTW - I did think I spotted something different about her cockpit set up during the race, pics would be good! Have you got a weight for the complete set up?

Edit: Just found a couple on her website! Looks pretty cool. In her Olympic Training gallery.