29" MTB rims for CX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

musket

by musket

Hey all,

I've got a pair of Enve UST rims I'm building up. I've also got a disc brake equipped CX frame on the way.

I'm hoping to run the Enve's, and am wondering if people have tried running CX tyres on these? I see the Ritte CX proto had them. Internal width on the rims I've got coming is 24mm, so quite a bit more than the Notubes / HED / other wide offerings.

I'm more concerned about the tyre shape given the increased width of the rim, NOT whether they'll run ok tubeless / tubed.

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

A lot will depend on what tires you run. Generally, they will be much wider with these rims and therefore you can run lower pressure and have less rolling resistance. If the tire gets too flattened out, the side knobs will become transitional knobs and you will have no side knobs and at a certain lean angle loose all traction. Picking tires that have a more rounded profile will tend to be better than ones that are more flat in a regular rim.

On a side note, if you get them built up and can't use them, there a a whole lot of 29er riders that would be happy to buy them.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

musket

by musket

Thanks - I'm a 29er rider, so I'll be keeping them. I'll have the frame built for a little extra clearance, and if tyre width becomes an issue (UCI compliant tyre width) I can run something else.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Just keep in mind that as you run a narrower tire to conform to UCI it will tend to be more flattened out than a wider tire and hence worsen the problem of traction on the edge.

by 104

Not sure if you've set them up yet, but I have a set o ENVE XC 29er rims that I mounted 33mm Clement tires to. They measured almost 39mm on these rims. Awesome handling, but so far away from being UCI-legal it was comical.

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

How about new 2013 Mavic 29" Disc MTB Wheels on CX bike ??
Crossmax SLR Disc 29" and
Crossmax ST Disc 29"
Only rims are different kind of in these wheels.

I have red somewhere that for exsample New Carbon Felt F1X 2013 is equipped with these Crossmax SLR Disc Wheels.

Any + and - to using these wheels with disc CX bike :shock:

ms6073

by ms6073

104 wrote:I mounted 33mm Clement tires... They measured almost 39mm on these rims.

Well at least now we know someone who has done it and had success with getting a 29er wheel setup with CX tires. Was that the Clement PDX or LAS clincher? I am building up disc cross frames for the wide and I and decided to order two sets of carbon 29er tubeless wheels from Light-Bicycle.com in China.

As you can see in the image above, the rims are 20mm deep, 21mm internal, 27mm external width and although I dont intend to race that wheelset, I was unsure whether to try to run the tires (Specialized Trigger Pro or Clement LAS) tubeless.
Last edited by ms6073 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by 104

That was casing width with a PDX, but the LAS is the same width and the shoulder is basically identical from what I can tell...maybe a hair shorter on the LAS.

backflat

by backflat

you can't race cyclo cross with any tire bigger than 700 x 38 ?

ms6073

by ms6073

Simply put, if you are not racing under UCI rules, then run what you brung.

backflat wrote:you can't race cyclo cross with any tire bigger than 700 x 38 ?

For races conducted under UCI rules - typically Pro, National, or World Championship events - then 700x33 is the widest tire you can legally race on. With that said, I note that officials last season at Masters Nationals and Worlds checked tires by pressing a fixed width plastic 'caliper' over our front and rear tires (best not to be sitting on the bike when they do that) as we entered the starting grid but despite there being several officials in the pits, I did not see any checks of wheels or bikes in the pits. :o
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Frans

by Frans

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=83396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What does conventional wisdom say about the measurements of the Easton EC90 carbon 29er MTB rims?
Internal Rim Width: 19mm
External Rim Width: 24.6mm

I have a frame with wide clearances and don't ride UCI races so don't care how fat the tyre is - in fact at 84 kgs the bigger the better! Would a 33c Grifo stand any chance of blowing off a rim with these dimensions? Esp if it got up to 50-60psi on the road - does anyone have experience? I'm very tempted by these wheels despite to massive price tag.

Thanks for opinions or experience.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Practically anybody that is selling tubeless rims including Stans has a max inflation pressure of 40 PSI. There are many examples of tubeless people blowing tires off rims at high pressure. I have blown a tire off the rim before by not watching my pressure as I seated the bead. If you go tubeless, you don't need high pressure. If you think you need that much pressure, then I recommend that you go the full UST route since they have more of a channel in their bead seat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com