Mad Fiber wheel noisy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Hi.

Just tried a set of Mad Fibers a couple of days ago and experienced a strange noise. The wheels are brand new.

When out of the saddle pushing, its like something metalic are brushing against each other.

I have read that the wheels are noisy, but this seems like the sort of noise that shouldn´t be there.

Any Ideas ?
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dozer

by Dozer

I have a set with the same problem. I am using tubes with long fully threaded stems. If the stem nut is not tight, they are very, very noisy. With it tight, it's much better but still has some noise when out of the saddle.

Last night I wrapped the step with some thin clear packing table (about 3 layers) such that it just barely fits in the rim hole. I hope that tightens up the play and also provides a slick smooth sliding surface rather than the threads which could catch any edges as it moves. Unfortuately, today it is raining so I haven't ridden to try it out.

What type of tube stem were in the wheels you were using? Did they use the supplier Mad Fiber extenders?

The noise is the one thing I'm not happy about with the wheels. Otherwise they are great.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Thanks for the answer.

Don´t think its the original Mad Fiber extenders, the shop fitted my FMB tubes to the wheels. Think they just used the extenders that I already had.

Will try to go back and ask them to find the Mad Fiber extenders and fit them.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

I had that noise at first, I was using 40mm valve extender I wrapped mine in one layer of electrical tape to make the noise go away

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Took the hub apart, greased it and put it back together again. Better now, think the adjuster screws was a bit loose as well.

Have some play in the hub ( moves a couple of mm when you pulls on it ), is this the same for you guys ? Same with or without the cassette on.

Dozer

by Dozer

Is your noise in the front or rear wheel or both? What vintage (month/year) are the wheels?

The weather broke last night so I got in a ride. The packing tape worked brilliantly. So, next I'll do the same to the rear wheel.

This is the type of tape I used. It was thin enough I could make 3 layers over the stem. I tried for quite a while using electrical tape, but with only 1 layer it just was large enough then when pushing into the rim it wanted to bunch up. I'm sure everyone elses stem and wheel diameters will vary so that result will not be repeatable.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

same with lots of carbon wheels.

Just take a 1" or so piece of electrical tape and puncture the stem through it and stick the sides down

cccyco

by cccyco

so,it's the valve problem? you mean tape the valve to the rim so it won't make noise?

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

cccyco wrote:so,it's the valve problem? you mean tape the valve to the rim so it won't make noise?

No it's the valve extender, use a layer of tape around the stem ( before it comes Out of the rim) so it doesn't rattle

Dozer

by Dozer

Correct Mike.

I'm also guessing there might be a little bit of radial movement of valve stem. I'd like to test that theory using a smooth, not threaded, stem. But for now I'm just happy the noise is gone. :beerchug:

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

Next time, I might try heat shrink

mikefromcanmore

by mikefromcanmore

Take a 1 inch piece of electrical tape, cut a slit into the center big enough to slide the valve through it. Smooth it on to both sides of the rim. Presto. Valve noise is gone, look is clean. WW status preserved.

Dozer

by Dozer

MikeMiranda wrote:Next time, I might try heat shrink

That's a GREAT idea! I'll try that on my rear rather than tape like the front.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

I have wrapped tape on all my previous carbon rims, so my problem its not the extenders.

I took the hub apart again and found some play in it. Tighten everything up, and hope its fine. Only thing else I can think about its the carbon spokes touching each other when pushing it out of the saddle ( when the bikes moves sideways ).

Another good tip on the extenders is to get some electric shrink covers that fits. Put them on and heat them up and they will shrink to fit the extenders perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com