Parlee Z1 Project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

... but, really, OP just wants an R5.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Already has one. Wants another.

JWolf

by JWolf

OP has an R5CA but it's a super light build and not the most comfortable thing to ride all day long. I like the bike a lot - much more than the S5 - even though I'm faster on the S5 and the Di2 is slick. But I want a couple of things out of the z1. First, I want to build a comfortable bike without the compromises of a super light build. For example, on the CA I am using THM Fibula brakes. Not the strongest brakes or best brakes around. But very good for the idea behind the CA. Super light, and they make the bike stop. That said, Super record and dura ace brakes are much much better - but also weigh about twice as much. I also really like the Campy UT cranks - and cannot put them on my CA - even if I was willing to accept the weight penalty.

Second, I want a nice custom paint job. Thinking "superman" look for the bike. Not because I think I am superman, but I am a big fan of the idea of superman. Have always been since I was a kid.

Third, i like the idea of a custom bike project for the next couple of months. Enjoy doing the research on the build.

That all said, when I stopped riding most top tubes were straight, now most are sloped. My thinking was "why?". Even the cost is no object R5CA has a sloped top tube. They changed everything else, but kept the slope. So, I was wondering if there was a compelling reason, or just an industry shift. I haven't asked cervelo the question, and am curious why they kept the slope. I may ask them next time I speak with them just to get their reason. It's pretty clear to me that on this bike they could have done anything they wanted. That said, maybe they kept it because all of their other stuff is sloped.

But, all, thanks for all the great feedback.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I am a huge fan of Parlee's custom stuff, but would like to re-emphasize certain things about the R5 CA. As you have noted, the comfort depends entirely on the spec. Heavier more comfy tires and wheels, bars, seat go a long way with comfort, but of course that's somewhat contrary to the ethos of such a light frame, it will change the snappy feel more towards comfort. I believe they went sloping in order to get a stiffer rear triangle, a lighter frame, and a bit of comfort from a longer more flexible seatpost. It also probably has something to do with fiber orientation philosophy. They have previous models with sloping, it's easier to optimize the layup.

Get a Z1, it'll be a bit different and you can use your bikes in different scenarios. Z1 for the rollers, R5 CA for the climbs, and S5 for the flats (I know you're in Florida, but whenever you travel to Italy or something ;) ). Perfect trifecta.

The sad thing is that the R5 CA (and other light bikes) ride very differently when using heavier components. Ironic.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You can get a stiff rear tri without changing the top tube. BMC's SLR01 went for a more compact rear where the stays dont meet the top tube...

One could mentally masturbate for hours over why each manufacturer did it to start with, but now there are loads of reasons models keep doing it... Size runs are one, that it's become a standard look (ala the OP's first thought) is another, taller head tube models made by several manufacturers now are pushing slope too so that bikes dont look funny with a head tube that sticks way up over the top tube... [Custom builders have been visually hiding taller head tubes by using slope for years...]

There are lots of things dictating frame design...

JWolf

by JWolf

Couldn't agree with u guys more. Thanks for the comments again. Spoke with Parlee and they are recommending a slightly sloped top tube for me. Also with Fair Wheel and they agree. So next question is DI2 or EPS. I have DI2 on my S5 - works great - but live Campy. Big dilemma. I have heard all good things about DI2 and mixed sometimes on EPS.

Comments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NealH

by NealH

I would stick with DI2. When something works virtually to perfection, why change it? I'm sure the Campy EPS works well too - but is it worth the risk? What do you really expect to gain by changing?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Too bad you can't get hands on the new Di2 yet :) That would be amazing

JWolf

by JWolf

Spoke with the guys at Fair Wheel bikes. Since the farm is probably gonna take about 6 weeks, if we go with DI2 we are probably gonna wait for the new version.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

until someone hacks EPS (a buck says it will be Fairwheel) I would stick to Di... EPS seems like they're charging by volume... Taking a fantastic Z1 and parking a Fiat 500 sized brain and battery pack on it just seems nuts.

apLe

by apLe

+1 I hate this lunchbox
18' R5 coming soon...

SSB

by SSB

The new battery options for DA 9000 make it an easy choice over EPS IMO.

Where does the Impec fit into the picture of bikes you've recently purchased?
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

JWolf

by JWolf

I am building the Impec right now as an everyday comfort bike. Same as what the Z1 will be except Impec is Super Record Mechanical. I live in 2 places so I will keep one of them at my other place.

JWolf

by JWolf

Not happy with Impec. Built it - took it aprt - dealer taking frame back. It was too bulky for me and I really did not like bulky brackets for the wheels. It was very difficult and annoying to get the front and rear wheels on and off the bike. Finish of the carbon was very nice - but compared with my other stuff and based on the price - I really did not feel it was worth it. So, I think I'm gonna take all of those components Campy SR -3T - Campy Bora Ultra 2 - and build a Bianchi Oltre. Seen the bike and really liked it. Plus, my first high end bike - about 25 years ago was a Bianch and I loved it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wait, what?

JWolf wrote:Plus, my first high end bike

JWolf wrote:Not happy with Impec. Built it - took it aprt - dealer taking frame back.

JWolf wrote:OP has an R5CA.

R5CA = high end bike
Impec = high end bike

Heck, any of the bikes mentioned in this thread are high end bikes.

Even more: nearly ALL of the bikes on this forum are high end bikes compared to what the overwhelming majority of people in the world ride.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.