Crank selection for Power2Max - advice appreciated!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Wanting suggestions about crank choice for Power2Max unit to go on the racing bike (Look 586) - currently has a 53/39 SRAM S900 P2Max on it but looking to put this on the training bike. The race rig as set up at the moment is more of a climbing/special occasion bike, and am looking for a nice crank to match.
The complicating factor is I already have another SRAM s900 crank so would be very easy (and ~$600NZD cheaper) to buy a 110mm spider for it and run 52/36 stronglight rings. Been wondering about the merits of Rotor 3d (not the + model, frame suits a standard 24mm BB) or lightning, but unless the weight savings are likely to be substantial (>150g) I'm not sure it's worthwhile...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

Hi, not going to be much help on the crank choice dilemma- all I can say is that a friend of mine has the Rotors and is very happy with them.

I'd be interested to get your feedback on the P2M though- you must be happy with it if you are getting a second one?

I was considering it, but have to admit by being a bit put off my the temperature linked zero offset drift, which cannot correct unless you freewheel.

What has been your experience of this?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Using Rotors own BSA30 cups, you can run Rotor 3D+ on a BSA frame as well (just put such a Power2max on my Look 596 machine).
On their website, P2Max say this is the lightest crank of all their powermeters, didn't weigh mine, though :oops:
At the moment, I don't have any personal long term feedback on such a solution, either.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

wok

by wok

I own a rotor 3d+ power2max crankset and it's really nice. I would recommend you rotor cranks and you might want to reconsider the 3D+ version as it's lighter and theoretically stiffer than standard 3D one. It also fits bb386 standard and many others, so it might be a wise choice. BSA30 bearings by rotor are very good quality imho.

roca rule

by roca rule

Why not go for the lightning crank it is about 200$ more than the rotor and will save you over half a pound compared with the s900.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Voye

by Voye

I have 2 P2M on 2 Rotor 3D and I am very very happy with both set-up. One is standard 130 and the other one compact, both with Q Rings. Not the lightest out there but stiff, solid and easy to work with. Yes, you could save some weight going with the + version but for me, I was looking to put the money saved on both crank elsewhere. The P2M themselves are great and both have worked flawlessly. I could not recommend enough. Customer service is also outstanding.

Cheers,

C