Ultegra PD-R6700 SP-SL Carbon seem surprisingly light.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Franklin

by Franklin

With thanks to user Roeboe http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94146

He weighed his pedals on his new build. I find them surprisingly light (under Shimano's claim):

http://flic.kr/p/atddoY

My experience with Shimano pedals has been very good, so I expect these to be quite nice as well. Is the difference the sealings? At fist glance at the technical documents they have similar bearings.

* I must be dense, can't post the picture, only the link. :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woody55

by woody55

Sorry to bring back from the dead but I didn't want to make a new topic if I didn't have to.

Anyone know what material the spindles are on these Ultegra Carbon pedals? Cro-Mo is my guess. I checked the Shimano tech documents and it doesn't say for sure. The part number is different than the regular 6700, 105 5700 and R670 alloy pedals and different than the Dura Ace 7900 pedals.

ASSuming these are Cro-Mo, does anyone know if Ti spindles are available? I emailed tispindles.com but didn't get any answer. I see they have an option for the alloy 6700, 105 5700 and R670 pedals but since the part number is different I would assume it will not fit the carbon pedals.

If there were Ti spindles available and they saved ~60g like on the alloy pedals then the combination of the Ti spindles with the carbon pedal would be right around 200g which would be amazingly light for a Shimano pedal. The Dura Ace 7900 is only 10g less than the Ultegra Carbon but about $100 more so the Ultegra + Ti would be an amazing deal.

Any thing I missed?

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I just bought these pedals on Chainlove - sweet deals. I currently do not know of any tuning procedure for this set of pedals, but I am very interesting in hearing about options if available.

eric

by eric

All the Shimano SPD-SL pedals have steel spindles. I have not seen a Ti one for them yet.

The axles are different because the Ultegra and DA pedals use different bearings.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

... and the ultegra carbons use a different axle compared to ultegra aluminums. the carbon pedal has no wrench flats, 8mm allen to install, and a hex for the bearing assembly.

timzcat

by timzcat

I wish the spindles were shorter like the Dura Ace pedals. I also wish we had an accurate measure of pedal center to crank to know wxactly how much longer these spindles compared to Dura Ace.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I didnt do direct measurement, but i did do a "relative" measurement of axle-to-cleat-center. It was very hard to tell: either they were exactly the same, or the dura ace (carbon) was less than 1mm narrower than the ultegra (carbon).

timzcat

by timzcat

Really?! If that's the case I could cetainly use Ultegra carbons on my second bike my concern was more Q-factor. Thank you

kroe

by kroe

If the DA spindles are shorter, wonder if that is the entire 10 gram difference? Someone needs to start making Ti short spindles for these...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

On DA, there's not much room to make them shorter. In fact, for the 9000 version, they will offer a longer spindle version as an option (4mm longer spindle). If i was interested in getting my foot closer to the crank arms (im not, im going the other way), i would work on the sh11 cleats instead. The plates, and the very large heads on the screws, really limit positional adjustment. Some plate hacking, some different screws, go a long way.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

thisisatest wrote:I didnt do direct measurement, but i did do a "relative" measurement of axle-to-cleat-center. It was very hard to tell: either they were exactly the same, or the dura ace (carbon) was less than 1mm narrower than the ultegra (carbon).

Same here, I did a comparison between the 2, I couldn't tell the difference between the thread lip and the approximate cleat center of the 2 pedals. Visually, they seem the same. Though the Ultegra seems wider if the look at them as complete pedals rather than their cleat center measurements. :noidea:

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

woody55 wrote:Sorry to bring back from the dead but I didn't want to make a new topic if I didn't have to.

Anyone know what material the spindles are on these Ultegra Carbon pedals? Cro-Mo is my guess. I checked the Shimano tech documents and it doesn't say for sure. The part number is different than the regular 6700, 105 5700 and R670 alloy pedals and different than the Dura Ace 7900 pedals.

ASSuming these are Cro-Mo, does anyone know if Ti spindles are available? I emailed tispindles.com but didn't get any answer. I see they have an option for the alloy 6700, 105 5700 and R670 pedals but since the part number is different I would assume it will not fit the carbon pedals.

If there were Ti spindles available and they saved ~60g like on the alloy pedals then the combination of the Ti spindles with the carbon pedal would be right around 200g which would be amazingly light for a Shimano pedal. The Dura Ace 7900 is only 10g less than the Ultegra Carbon but about $100 more so the Ultegra + Ti would be an amazing deal.

Any thing I missed?

Sorry to drag up the thread...again. I made the mistake of buying this ti spindle and was informed by the seller that it would fit the 6700c. It doesn't. Will update once the machining is complete....fingers crossed! [emoji51]

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Weight of the original spindles are 45g each (possibly slightly lighter than the standard 6700s). The Ti spindles are 30g each pre machining. Hoping overall weight will be close to 200g but think it will probs fall short if I can even do it!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

6700c pedals now weight 108g each. Managed to get the 6700 ti spindles machined to match the spindle from the 6700c. Weight saving of 42 grams over standard!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

New ti on the left original cr-mo on the right.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1421182365770.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com