ticking/creaking every pedal stroke when out of the saddle.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smck

by smck

I'm starting to lose the plot with this noise and any help would be most appreciated. I have a 2011 Canyon Aeroad with Campag Record gruppo and for the last month there has been two 'ticks' every time I go through a revolution while out of the saddle, just after the dead spot at 12 o'clock on each side. It happens in both big and small rings. At first I thought it was loose chainring bolts but when I tightened them they were very tight anyway and didn't really budge so I didn't force them too much. I'm going to try and loosen them tonight and grease the threads as a last resort but the first attempt didn't really do much I don't think. Then I thought the rear wheel was warping but the carbon spokes definitely make a different sound when rubbing. Ruled out handlebars and stem as well pretty much because I just dropped the stem and changed the handlebar angle a few days ago. I'm pretty sure though it is coming from the BB/cranks. I used different shoes today to try and make sure it was the cleats but no luck again. I'll tighten the pedals tonight as well to see if that does anything. I'm hoping its not a BB problem because I don't have a long enough torque wrench to reach in to tighten that and I don't trust half the bike shops around the area.

Thanks and I hope you can help

S
"Je pédale, donc je suis" - René Descartes (I think :D)

2011 Canyon Aeroad CF
2012 Canyon Ultimate Al

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robroyski

by Robroyski

I would check your QR on the back wheel especially if you are using something that is light. I had a similar issue when using KCNC skewers on my bike. As soon as I went back to using Campagnolo QR's, problem went away and never came back.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

As mentioned above, check the QR on the rear wheels, that is the easiest fix, and very often the problem. If that doesn't help grease and re-torque the pedal spindle threads. That is another easy fix, that is the culprit more often than a lot of complicated fixes.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Note that a sound can very easily originate in one area but sound like its coming from somewhere else. Here's the most common things I've found on customers' bikes that have caused the "mystery tick:"

QR SKEWER (Seriously this one is the culprit at least half the time)
Chainring bolts
Bottom bracket cups
Stem bolts
Ungreased headset
Loose bolt for attaching the shifters to the handlebar
Pedals
Saddle rails
I'm so rubbish at this.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

check your cleats too - they could be worn

gumdad

by gumdad

Check your bottle cage bolts as well. You say it only happens when out of the saddle – that's when your putting the most torque on the bike/frame, and sometimes a loose bottle cage bolt(s) will tick/creak under the torque.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

If this creaking comes from QR then how to fix it?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

artray

by artray

You have a cracked rim . tiny hair fracture . Have a good look at your wheel . I hope its not but I bet it is.
good luck and I hope Im wrong

wojchiech

by wojchiech

rainerhq wrote:If this creaking comes from QR then how to fix it?

if it's an open cam design (most lightweight QR's), apply a drop of light lube to the joint.

and then just make sure to tighten the QR correctly. I usually fully open the lever, then tighten until the QR lip is touching the dropout, then close the lever. And make sure the wheel is centered too. I have some QR's that you need to push while in the dropout so that the tire is centered (by eyeing the tire in relation to the seat tube).

G6612

by G6612

I have had my share of creaks and one thing I can suggest you try is to ride your bike with sneakers on and see if you have the sound while riding. I chased a creak for a month and rode with sneakers on and found out it was a loose cleat not the bike.

Hope this helps!

Horacio

by Horacio

My money is on the QR not being snug/tight enough.

by 103

Lightly coat the rear drop outs with some grease.

smck

by smck

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm just about to check the bike over and I'll post when the problem finally gets resolved.
"Je pédale, donc je suis" - René Descartes (I think :D)

2011 Canyon Aeroad CF
2012 Canyon Ultimate Al

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Try different wheels as well - which is an easy try out if you have training wheels to swap in (with different QRs).

I had noise just the week & convinced it was coming off the BB zone = only under drive & out of the saddle. Turned out to be front hub axle bearing interface was dirty.

Another issue may be old chain / worn chain rings which can give a noise where the dead spots on the crank turns come thru (as the chain lifts / engages) over the chain ring. Had similar noises with dry chain lube vs. wet lube.

artray

by artray

Its almost like an event . Solve the problem ,if someone has the time they could make note of who gets the most right answers and make a little table to see who solves the most problems and who comes last and at the end of the year all the rich dentists and lawyers on this sight can supply the winner with a custom bike of there choice . :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com