Best tubular wheel for riding in wind and shock absorption

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mariopoli

by mariopoli

I want to buy a set of tubular wheels. My priorities are light weight, performance in heavy wind and road shock absorption. I am between two wheels.

1. Enve 25 (lighter in weight), 25 mm height, 5 year warranty, 50% crash replacement discount, easy to get replacement parts, requires valve extenders, can buy at wheelbulder.com (near my home) and get free lifetime spoke adjustments.
2. Campagnolo Hyperon 13mm height, industrial art.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Go with the Enves. The warranty is a no brainer. Additionally, the molded spoke holes will be able to handle high tension much better than the drilled design of the Hyperons.
The Enves will also allow you to lace a hub of your choice, where as you will be limited with the Campy wheels.
However, since your looking for performance in high winds, I am not sure the 25 is the best choice. I have found that the 3.4s (more so the 6.7s) almost get more stable in crosswinds. Just a thought though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariopoli

by mariopoli

Zen Cyclery wrote:Go with the Enves. The warranty is a no brainer. Additionally, the molded spoke holes will be able to handle high tension much better than the drilled design of the Hyperons.
The Enves will also allow you to lace a hub of your choice, where as you will be limited with the Campy wheels.
However, since your looking for performance in high winds, I am not sure the 25 is the best choice. I have found that the 3.4s (more so the 6.7s) almost get more stable in crosswinds. Just a thought though.

I called Enve and they told me the 25 was more stable in the wind and had better road shock comfort than the 3.4s.

I can't afford to make a $3K mistake.

em3

by em3

Just curious, where in exactly in Los Angeles area will you be riding in high wind? EM3

mariopoli

by mariopoli

em3 wrote:Just curious, where in exactly in Los Angeles area will you be riding in high wind? EM3

I ride around the Palos Verdes Peninsula most people ride in the morning when there is no wind. I ride late in the afternoon On PV drive south and some sections of PV drive east in the winter the wind can kick up from the ocean. I have had experience where I have had trouble handling the bike in those winds. Perhaps it was a wheel balance problem.

system787

by system787

I ride the Palos Verdes loop very often, and I agree that the winds get very strong. It can't be a wheel imbalance issue, because on my low profile Easton EA90SLX's, I still get pushed around by the wind. I'm 6'0 and 160 lbs for reference.

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Get the hyperons - they're the best wheels available.

The hubs are superb, the geometry gives a wheel that's laterally stiffer than anything else out there.

They've been around for 10 or 11 years, virtually unchanged - that tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the design.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Hyperons are used in PR and Flanders. I secound the Campag wheel some of if not the best wheels out.

sawyer

by sawyer

You should be able to get a deal on Hyperons. They are stiff and durable by all accounts.

They lose points on aero however.

Particularly against Zipp 202s which I'd throw into the mix. I have a set and rate them highly. More like riding a deeper aero wheel that the wind can't get at. Sub 1100g also.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

KB

by KB

I've haven't ridden the Hyperon's, but I have the Enve 25's, which are very nice wheels indeed. I live in an area with a fair amount of wind, but I've never ever noticed them in crosswinds.

sawyer

by sawyer

windy area means you want something aero and manageable ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Arky

by Arky

A thread like this has to mention Zipp 303s. You can find very good condition 2010-11 models (beginning of firecrest) for about $1200 on that auction site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

If you get the Enve 25's, think carefully about the spokes, as aero (bladed) spokes may significantly increase cross-wind handling problems vs. round spokes.