150mm road stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sidekick

by Sidekick

Hi

Im new and not sure if this is where this should be posted but I'm looking for a 150mm road stem preferably 73 degrees. Does anyone know where i could find one? I've search the internet quite a bit with no luck.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TOflat

by TOflat

If you need a 150 mm stem, you either have a very very small frame or very very long arms. Which one is it?

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Or a small frame and long arms,
or a small frame and short reach handlebars,
or long arms and short reach handlebars,
etc. etc.

Anyways, many reasons for running a totally acceptable 150mm stem...

@OP: Deda (Newton) is probably your best bet. Not sure about 73 deg. though...

audiojan

by audiojan

If you need a 150mm stem, then you very likely have the wrong frame for you...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Deda makes a 150mm Newton, but only in the -8 deg. (and it is quite difficult to find, I had to get mine from The Jerk)

My suggestion is to get a 3T ARX Pro or team stem in 140mm. Their 140mm -17deg stems measure out to be right at 147mm in length. That's as close as you are going to get.

As someone else who has short legs and a long torso/arms, I feel your pain in getting frames that are short enough in the front end to work.

djconnel

by djconnel

audiojan wrote:If you need a 150mm stem, then you very likely have the wrong frame for you...

In other words, a long stem results in fundamentally inferior handling, efficiency, and/or comfort? Or aesthetics?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

audiojan wrote:If you need a 150mm stem, then you very likely have the wrong frame for you...

Spoken by the geometrically challenged.

If you for whatever reason desire a long reach to the bars in addition to a lot of bar to saddle drop, then what "frame size" do you think would provide this?

Frames with short head tubes also have short reach, and frames with long reach have head tubes that are too tall.

The only option is a very long horizontal stem on a small frame or a custom frame.

BTW... I just got a KCNC Arrow in 140mm -17. Pretty nice stem if you like the style. I could totally ride a longer reach though... and my body proportions are very normal... I just like a lot of drop and reach.

I see that FWB has one left: http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-arrow-stem-p-4150.html Mine weighed less that advertized, 142g.

Last edited by WMW on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly rruff...

peruffo

by peruffo

Another possible rason for a 150 mm -17degree stem: flat bar road bike! You need the longest stem, slammed, tilted down, if you like a "road bike like" fit and ride experience...

KWalker

by KWalker

Lots of pros ride stems badged as 140 that measure 145-160mm sometimes. I forget where I saw it, but some site was selling old pro bikes and all of the HTC bikes had legit 145mm PRO stems on there. I've seen a few World Tour race stages and distinctly remember seeing many Katusha riders on 150mm stems that just had sponsor stickers on them or a relabeled Deda stem. A few BMC riders are riding the 150mm PRO stems that have been debadged so try calling the appropriate distro.

Another easy way to get more reach is to switch bars. Quite a few brands make a bar with 85-95mm effective reach depending on how you set them up. Deda deeps and FSA Omega Classics definitely have a 95mm reach.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

KWalker wrote:Lots of pros ride stems badged as 140 that measure 145-160mm sometimes.

Even on the top frames with "race" geometry, a lot of these guys need a shorter headtube. I'm an old man with average proportions and I need a small frame plus long horizontal stem to get where I want. The marketers have embraced the "endurance" market... ie taller bikes, but they've ignored those who want to get long and low.

I used to be a lot higher in the front... I have back issues and thought that would help. But once I learned to relax my back, getting low actually feels better.
formerly rruff...

KWalker

by KWalker

In many cases running a 130mm -17 would get them lower than a 140 -6, both slammed of course.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Colonia

by Colonia

TOflat wrote:If you need a 150 mm stem, you either have a very very small frame or very very long arms. Which one is it?

+1

cccyco

by cccyco

dunno why you choose a 150mm stem, is it just for looking like a pro? here in my place,lots of peeps cut the fork steerer tube to none spacers length, I mean is it necessary to be so aggressive?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

150mm.

The Jerk would be proud.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!