Mavic Ksyrium causes a ticking sound ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I recently purchased a new set of custom wheels so have been riding them and my bike makes absolutely no sounds. I put my Mavic Ksyrium SL's back on for a ride and when ever I am out of the saddle pedaling with effort the front wheel will make a pretty loud ticking noise. I will not be using the Mavics on a regular basis they have become my spare wheels but I would like to find out what's making the noise. I am using the same force on the skewers maybe even less on the new wheels. (Chris King R45 hubs) Any Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

I had a problem like that with the Ksyriums - front and rear. I tried oiling the nipples to no avail. Though they settled after a while - maybe you just need to be more thorough with the oiling, like drench them in oil to near excess?

The worst was the rear where the spokes are crossed, oil did not work but greasing the intersection worked like magic. Front user to tick when out of the saddle mainly.

craddlepig

by craddlepig

Make sure its not the valve clicking around in the valve hole. Have you got a threaded valve with the retaining collar tightened down. I put a small 'o' ring on first to stop it coming loose.

artray

by artray

It could be a tiny crack in the rim ,you will only get the ticking sound when you are riding . Is the ticking louder when you put more of your body weight on the wheel ? If so you have a small crack.

brycerider

by brycerider

Loose hub bearings can also cause this or the lockring isn't tight enough

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

shadster

by shadster

try a bit of grease on either side of your dropouts

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

brycerider wrote:Loose hub bearings can also cause this or the lockring isn't tight enough

+1, and check the quick releases.

We raced with Ksyrium SL a few years ago when it was our team sponsor...there were a few problems like you have and it was because the loose hub bearings..

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Make sure you have enough spoke tension in the wheel. Ksyriums will creak if the spokes are allowed to flex to much under load.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

Valy wrote:I had a problem like that with the Ksyriums - front and rear. I tried oiling the nipples to no avail. Though they settled after a while - maybe you just need to be more thorough with the oiling, like drench them in oil to near excess?

The worst was the rear where the spokes are crossed, oil did not work but greasing the intersection worked like magic. Front user to tick when out of the saddle mainly.

+1. Mine creaked like yours when out of the saddle too. Oiling the nipples and at the hub did the trick. The ticking doesn't go immediately, as mentioned, but usually solved the problem.

Looks like several good tips here, hope one works.

justanewbie

by justanewbie

I had a similar problem with my shimano 7900 c24's, it was because the rear QR wasn't sitting properly and wasn't tight enough. Loosen your rear QR, smack the seat, then do the QR up nice and tight.

It might actually be a functional problem judging by the other responses here, but that's all mine was.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Try a few drop of oil at the spoke insertion points on the hub and nipples... other culprit may be the valve stem banging against the rim... pop your tube out and wrap a single layer of electrical tape around it...

Cornix

by Cornix

I purchased a bike 3 years ago with Mavic Kysyrium wheels and almost from day 1 the back wheel ticked (generally on a hill climb). I just noticed the front wheel doing the same only last week.
Today's ride was the last straw, it was driving me mad, so I googled the issue and found this forum.

Unconvinced by everyone's answers I took the front wheel off and did some experiments. I held the rim by the hub and started tapping it. I could hear a vibration coming from the same location on the rim regardless of where I tapped it. Then when I held the rim upright and rotated it side to side, I could hear the ticking. It was something bouncing back an forth between 2 spoke nipples. If it stopped, all I needed to do to start it again was tap the rim.

I am sure that some clown has dropped a spoke nipple into the hollow of the rim when lacing it up. I suggest that the free ranging nipple is jamming up against the top of the hollow rim and the fixed spoke nipples occasionally, with no sound being emitted. Possibly even up against the inner tube protection over the spoke nipple access hole. Then when the wheel is put under pressure or weight, the adjacent fixed spoke nipples flex a little and free the loose nipple for it to slide back and forth inside the rim with each rotation.

Cornix

djm

by djm

One spoke on my front Ksyrium Elite was slightly loose, causing a pinging noise. It was becoming more and more loose, until the wheel became untrue. After truing the wheel was fine, but all of a sudden the spoke snapped out of the hub, probably because of material fatigue in the spoke from all the movement at the hub. Beware of such a problem.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Its interesting you brought this up. I was on an organized ride Saturday and I heard this obnoxious loud clicking when this guy was riding within this small group we had. It took me a while to figure out it was the guy with the Mavic Ksyrium Elites but he didn't seem to mind. It was loud and would have drove me crazy if I had to deal with that for 60 miles......

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Also check the bearing pre-load on Mavics. Mavic does not load the bearings when it ships wheels out. Instead, it sends a little plastic tool to do it yourself. If the bearings are not loaded, the wheels can tick. The load can also loosen over time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com