50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm using Stans tape. ~6-8g for both wheels and readily accessible - for me at least.

cep111

by cep111

Craigagogo wrote:From Fairwheels website

"Red Veloplugs are compatible with rim holes that are nominally 8 mm in diameter. Most non-eyelet aluminum rims will use this size, including all KinLin rims. Yellow Veloplugs are compatible with most eyelet-style rims with holes 8.5-9.3 mm in diameter. Veloplugs are not compatible with Edge Composites clincher rims"

Can someone verify that RED Veloplugs is the type needed for the FSC50-CM wheel set.

Thanks

Im using red velo plugs in mine, they fit perfect.. This is the best solution for these rims. Tight enought you have to pry them out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

FSC50-CM assembly pics and weights

Front skewer seems ok, rear skewer needs to replaced with something better

The largest two cogs on the Recon titanium cassette are riveted together, the back side of the rivets just slightly hit the spokes, NP ground them down.

No pic, but the wheels come with green colored brake pads.

I gotta do something about the valve extenders, I need shorter extenders.

Now to test ride for the first time tonight!
More than 10 years a Weenie!

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

For the first ride I did 125 kms tonight, and happily there were no issues with the wheels. The wheels came very true and without any hop (certainly within spec), after this ride they are ever so slightly out of true, maybe after a few more rides I will true them up to perfect again. Riding impressions...they seem to be fairly compliant over reasonably broken pavement. They also seem to take about at much time to get to speed as Mavic Ksyriums, I noticed a slight amount of wind buffeting but nothing crazy. When up to speed they rolled a little better than the Mavic's ( I know that's not saying much ;) ) They seemed plenty stiff to me, but I am a rouleur not sprinter. Braking (dry conditions) with Campagnolo Record brakes was very responsive and I would estimate about 93.875% :D of the stopping power compared to regular compound brake pads and aluminum surface rims. So overall I am pleased with this purchase as an everyday training wheel set, now to see about longevity...

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

Sadly my rear hub went out on my hubsmith hubs, we found this during routine maintenance, the hubs had about 600-700 miles or so farsports is sending me some new bitex hubs , I will end up using the FS rims as backup to my mad fiber tubulars I just picked up

toshi

by toshi

Received a pair of chinese 50mm clinchers today. Ghastly finish quality. The tire bead hook on the inside of the rims actually flattens out to non-existent in sections (see photo, note top section of right wheel). Lots of strange dabs of filler around the rim hooks too. Perfect for a suicide run.

eric

by eric

What brand are the rims?

toshi

by toshi

eric wrote:What brand are the rims?

They're unbranded chinese carbon rims off ebay.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What eBay seller? I feel like all discussions for generic carbon reviews should be accompanied with what manufacturer or what eBay seller is providing them as otherwise the discussion turns into an over generalized flame war about all Chinese quality.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I am at about 2500 kms of use on the Farsport FSC50-CM, 1351 gram, 50 mm deep clincher wheel set and they are still rolling well, no issues whatsoever.

The basalt braking track surface is showing zero signs of wear at this time. To test the brake track, I rode down Appleby Line, (locally know as Rattlesnake Point here in Ontario-about a 1.0 km decent where you are very hard on the brakes for at least 600 meters with 2 low speed switchbacks at about 12-15% grade) to test the durability of the brake track. Brake modulation and stopping power was excellent without any issues on this decent.

I am still very pleased with this purchase as a everyday training wheel.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Because I was very curious about Chinsese carbon clinchers and the quality I get for the money I ordered some carbon clinchers from Farsports. Here are some pics of my Farsports FSC50-CM wheelset. The wheels are looking good and feel firm. I did a very short test run and it felt ok. I have to do something about the rattling of the valves in the rims on bad roads but everything else seems ok. The rear hub needs a bit rolling in because the free wheels seems a bit sticky, but the cranks are not moving forward when moving the bike forward. The free wheel sound of the Novatec super light hub is much less loud as expected and that is fine with me. I have no brake noise or scream with the Reynolds blue pads. I did not use the brake pads that came with the wheels nor I did use the skewers yet. Instead I used my own Swiss POP Products skewers.
It was a bit of a pain to get the Veloflex clincher tyres on the rims. Useally I have no problems with getting tyres on Fulcrum or Mavic rims but now I had to work really hard. I even have some blisters on my hands. :|

The buying experience with Farsports was very good and communication was flawless. I got all the information about the wheels that I asked. I got the wheels within 6 days from China and the package was undamaged. They used a Chinese courier service and it was ok with tracking and tracing.

I hope to do a long testride in the next days.

Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

record

by record

Does any of these cheap chinese manufacturers make cyclocross specific wheelsets? or rims?
A light bike does replace good fitness.

fletch62

by fletch62

Farsports do a 23mm wide tubular cyclocross rim. A few people on RBR have bought it for the road.

Snicks

by Snicks

Anyone tried the 88mm clinchers? (farsports or focus)
Though really if the 88's follow a similar build quality to the rest of the wheels talked about then they should be pretty fine - to be honest I don't plan on using the braking surface anyways :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

Do I have to send a mail to the e-mail address given at www.farsports.cn or is there webshop somewhere?
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022