O Symmetric Users

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

This might sound weird in the road thread, but what do the people that use these on their roadies use on other bikes i.e. cross or mtbs? I want to get the same feeling on all of them, but there is simply no way (I've tried) to get MTB or cross versions in the US.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Omiar

by Omiar

Their available in EU. Just have someone buy them and send over to US.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Not quite sure why you can't get them in the US if they're available elsewhere. Have you tried contacting Osymetric USA?

fa63

by fa63

I understand Osymetric USA bought the rights to the design and are having the rings manufactured in the US instead of importing them. It looks like they haven't made it to manufacturing MTB rings yet.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm curious...ShimaNo's Biopace failed miserably years ago, so why is O Symmetric any different?

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

@wingnut

they are effectively 90degrees out of phase with biopace. A few other tweaks on shape etc, but thats the crux of it. bigger gear in the power phase, smaller one at the dead spots.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Machinenoise, really? Did biopace have a higher gear in the dead spots? I seem to recall it wasn't like this, but it's been a long time ...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Wingnut wrote:I'm curious...ShimaNo's Biopace failed miserably years ago, so why is O Symmetric any different?

Right, what the above poster said. Biopace had it off 90 degrees. Where qrings and orings have a different approach each.

I swear by my qrings. I might not be faster, but getting rid of the dead spot, especially on climbs, made a big difference for me. Never go back to round rings personally.

Not so sure about the osymmetric, they are the extreme of qrings. Harder to setup also.

KWalker

by KWalker

Lets not start a debate about ring shapes.

I contacted the US distro with 0 response but the above posters are correct. I also received a reply from a Euro distro that used to carry the MTB version and they pretty much can't get them anymore because of how unpopular they were. Apparently the bumpiness of mtb shifting when combined with the shape just caused too many chains to drop.

I was maybe thinking of just getting Q-rings for the MTB and trying to get the closest orientation, but I'm still curious as to what O-Sys users do in this situation.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boots2000

by boots2000

Get in touch with Tom Slocum- http://www.hscycle.com/
He can make you some. They will be much higher quality than osymetric rings too.

KWalker wrote:Lets not start a debate about ring shapes.

I contacted the US distro with 0 response but the above posters are correct. I also received a reply from a Euro distro that used to carry the MTB version and they pretty much can't get them anymore because of how unpopular they were. Apparently the bumpiness of mtb shifting when combined with the shape just caused too many chains to drop.

I was maybe thinking of just getting Q-rings for the MTB and trying to get the closest orientation, but I'm still curious as to what O-Sys users do in this situation.

yongkun

by yongkun

Any SRAM users care to share their experience with Osymmetric installation? I've got a friend who is having difficulty tuning it to his Force bike, probably also due to his small frame, chain angle. I am keen on it too.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Yongkun, what sort of problems?? I've never used SRAM (full stop) but have heard of issues with it and o-symmetric. I've setup and used them on about 6 different bikes now, and know about most of the issues. Front derailleur trimming does help on some bikes, and the position of the derailleur due to the tube angle or braze-on position can affect their usage. Most problems can be fixed though.

s4one

by s4one

Does osymetrics help with climbing? i know that the power section has more teeth so it makes more power but is harder to pedal. this makes me think qrings maybe better soley for climbing purposes

topflightpro

by topflightpro

A buddy of mine here in the U.S. has them and likes them a lot.

PM me if you want me to try to get you info on how he got his.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

s4one wrote:Does osymetrics help with climbing?

Ask Froome and Wiggins...
formerly rruff...