pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

My mount has been stuck in customs for a week

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Got my RWD mount on Friday (impressed with how fast this shipped!), mounted it up this weekend.

Seems strong and sturdy. I haven't tried the first gen, but the piece of rubber that goes under the bar clamp seems to keep things very secure on the bar. I don't see how this could possibly slip. Garmin is in perfect position, and not too high up like the barfly. Needed to apply a little pressure with fingers while tightening to help with the thread engagement and then all was good and tight. Computer fits very tightly and securely to the mount. Total weight including the bolt and rubber strip came in at 14g on my scale.

Here are some photos:

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

I finally got mine, its exactly how I wanted mine mounted I will prolly purchase one when I upgrade to a 800

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Getter wrote:
Watziznehm wrote:Has anybody tried using either the RWD mount or the K-Edge mount with a FSA K-Wing bar?

I was taking a good hard look at my bar/stem and it seems like I only have a few mm to the each side of the stem before the bar flares into flat tops.

I saw a K-Edge on a Wing bar today. Sits pretty close to the stem...but it fit.

The K-Edge sits OK on the Zipp VukaSprint which is a 'wing bar' type handlebar. Edge stem.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Giant DK

by Giant DK

astranoc wrote:Image

You need 4 times the amount of strength in contrast with the original mount to secure it but it feels very safe. All in all i am very happy, I wouldn't mind if it was a couple of centimeters shorter.

I also don't understand why it is so long. Perfectly the Garmin 800 would only be placed a few mm ahead of the stem.

I both have a 500 and a 800, and would love to have such a mount using the 800 mount will simply place the Garmin unit to much ahead of the stem - especially on the 500. I would love to have my Garmin units ahead of the stem but also a close to the stem as posible.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

Giant DK wrote:
astranoc wrote:Image

You need 4 times the amount of strength in contrast with the original mount to secure it but it feels very safe. All in all i am very happy, I wouldn't mind if it was a couple of centimeters shorter.

I also don't understand why it is so long. Perfectly the Garmin 800 would only be placed a few mm ahead of the stem.

I both have a 500 and a 800, and would love to have such a mount using the 800 mount will simply place the Garmin unit to much ahead of the stem - especially on the 500. I would love to have my Garmin units ahead of the stem but also a close to the stem as posible.

The mounts come in the standard length so that they work with all stems, some have thick front clamps which then leaves little gap. However, I agree that on many set ups the 800 is too far away. I am looking at this now and a new model has just been built with a 10mm shorter arm, 5mm more offset and also a new designed thicker support arm. I hope to have pictures of the new mount up next week. No plan to change the 500 mount at the moment but if people want a shorter one then I will do one.

Martyn
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

Mike V

by Mike V

On the bay.

Coolvdp

by Coolvdp

Some people test it ?

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Coolvdp wrote:Some people test it ?

On the bike and working!
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

marcelflash

by marcelflash

I have intstalled mine in a 3T LTD stem/bar. very tight an I like the adjustability.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

hit a large bump this morning. my polar flew away. (it was mounted on control tech stem mount)

garmin 500... here i come.
Attachments
20120810_101553.jpg

JWolf

by JWolf

Nice thing about the k-edge is that it adjustable from the bottom. You can move the garmin forward and back - which you can do on the bar fly. Bar fly is lighter and less expensive - but also doesn't center the 800 as well IMO.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

So I've been noticing that the rwd mount Has/this vibrating/rattle its starting to bother me
Last edited by MikeMiranda on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nspace

by nspace

Really? Mine doesn't make a peep. I wonder what is causing it. Did you use the thin rubber strip it came with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

nspace wrote:Really? Mine doesn't make a peep. I wonder what is causing it. Did you use the thin rubber strip it came with?

Yes I did