Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm UK based and looking for your advice on my next bike purchase. Currently riding a second-hand Planet X carbon with old 105/Ultegra and Mavic Ksyriums.
The bike is a bit tired and more concerningly, it it's starting to creak around the BB when I put the power down or on climbs, so am looking to get a new steed and finding every excuse to purchase!
I've narrowed it down to 2012 CAAD10 105 or 2012 Super Six 105 - the main thing that is swaying it is the price difference:
- I've found the CAAD10 105 with RS10s for £1000
- also found the Super Six 105 with Aksiums for £1400
- just getting into road cycling past 4 months, previously more MTBing
- prefer to do shorter ie 30 mile rides once/twice during the week with a longer 50-60 miles at the weekend, so roughly three times out per week
- I'm signed up to do a 50 miles sportive, then another 80 mile sportive
- overall want a bike to do improve fitness/do fast short rides with occasional longer one
- might possibly look at getting into road racing next year
Originally it was Super Six all the way, but I'm currently swayed toward the CAAD as it's £400 cheaper, which could go towards upgrades. I would sell the RS10s and keep my Mavics and sell the Gossamer chainset as I also have an FSA SLK Light chainset to go on the new bike. I'd look to upgrade 105 kit later on. If I went Super Six, I'd do the same and sell the wheels/cranks.
So what would you do? With the CAAD, I'm already £400 up for upgrades, but realise there's not a lot in it between the two frames (apart from alu v carbon debate).....
Any advice appreciated guys and have been lusting after the CAAD build thread.