Having trouble with cleat fore-aft (Steve Hogg method)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGW

by AGW

I'd ask the man myself but I'd need to purchase a membership. :roll:

Anyway, it was time for new cleats so I figured I'd give his method a try. I went with method #1 and with my cleats slammed all the way forward, my BOF is 28mm in front of the pedal axle. I was hoping for ~10mm...

I'm using Pearl Izumi shoes at the moment which he states will cause problems for this method, but a full 28mm? Missing the mark by such a large margin makes me feel like I missed a step more than solely a shoe problem, but maybe I'm just in denial.

Are the mounting holes on Sidi, Shimano, Specialized, Lake, etc. significantly closer to the toe to correct this?

This is with SPD-SL cleats and 5700 pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The guy talks a little sense, but a lot of c***.

You get on your bike and your ride it, and you stop to make regular adjustments. You find the right cleat adjustment through 'feel'.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

AGW, I highly recommend paying the small fee and asking Steve himself.

You'll find his reply will go far and above what you're hoping for. He's very good.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

I find the "by feel" method works quite well. When (if) adjusting mine, I aim to have it setup such that the pedal feels "balanced" when applying torque.

Too far back --> foot further forward over axle --> foot tends to roll forwards --> tibialis anterious/ extensor digitorum longus muscle (I'm sure there are others deeper too controlling flexion of the foot) gets excessive work and will feel fatigued prematurely.

Example to try at home: stand on edge of a stair ledge on heels with toes hanging over edge. Move rotate ankle to move foot up and down by rolling on heel.

Too far forwards --> foot pushed back over axle --> foot tends to roll forwards --> soleus muscle tends to get excessive work (perhaps too the gastrocnemius) leading to premature muscle fatigue (sometimes can lead to tendinitis of the archilles tendon / cramp in calves).

Example to try at home: stand on the edge of a stair ledge on the balls of your feet and rotate the ankle slowly (a standing calf raise). Do this 20 times to full extension and you get the point.

Saddle setback/height also come into play too.

Cheers,
I

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Why not go to your local shop and get a fit?

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

If I were you I'd just ride over to E 6th and N Fremont, walk into Fairwheel and ask for Maxim. He's very good.

Or you could hit wedofeet.

I would love to meet Steve Hogg, but when it comes to fit, local is just so much easier.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

shadwell

by shadwell

Having had a pro fit with Steve 2 years ago and still reaping the rewards of the fit, just wanted
To reccomend paying the subscription, it's bugger all in the scheme of things and likely to yield the
Greatest benefit per dollar you are likely to find.
Best of all endevour to see him in person, high cost yes, high value absolutely.

To the individual who stated steve talks alot of crap and to do fit by feel;
It is apparent his ignorance of Steve's skill set an likely of his own shortcomings both physically and intelectually are staggering In their magnitude...
Attempting speak with authority about something you have no direct Experience of makes you appear
Ill informed and foolish....Open your ears in place of your mouth...

Best of luck to the OP.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com