Anyone tried Kenda Volare Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

Hello
Has anyone tried Kenda Volare Tubular tires ?
I did a search and found no postings, thanks for any information.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Yeah I have one on my TT disc. Can't say its the most supple of tires... then again I was riding it on not so perfect roads at a decent amount of pressure. Felt fast. Won nationals on it. So can't say anything bad about them. Not bad for the price! I'd say don't hold back if you can get it at a decent price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmoi

by cmoi

MOTOMATT wrote:Hello
Has anyone tried Kenda Volare Tubular tires ?
I did a search and found no postings, thanks for any information.

Hi,
Yes I tried them, not happy at all.
After first ride I get a first crack on the tubular (see below) and then punctured after 800km.
I do not believe they are very robust
Thanks

fa63

by fa63

I can't speak for the Volare directly, but I have the version below the Volare, called the Super Domestique. I have to admit they have been very good so far; they ride well (just a tad harsher than the Bontrager Race X-lite tubulars on my other bike, which have latex tubes compared to butyl tubes in Kenda) and the grip and puncture protection seem good also. I think they are a good compromise between a budget tubular and a high end one. The price was pretty good through my LBS as well.

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

Thanks for replies':-) I am new to Tubular s , I am on Vittoria Corsa EVO CX love the ride of them, I've been told they flat easy,and wear fast.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

Used them last season on my 303's. They were great tires- rode well and gripped well. On night one of a multi-day crit series in North Carolina (hot + humid) the rear tire rolled off of the rim. Upon further inspection after my race ended, the tubular had come unglued from the base tape, the base tape was still attached to the rim tight.

I doubt it happens much- still not sure if it was the tire or the weather conditions. One of my reasons for ditching tubulars on the road.

shotgun

by shotgun

I've used both Volare and Corsa Evo CX II.

Rolls well, though not as good as Corsa Evo CX II

Grips much better than Corsa Evo CX II, especially on the wet.

Tread wear is marginally better than Corsa Evo CX II.

Puncture is better marginally than Corsa Evo CX II.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rc32

by rc32

I'll chime in since I have used them quite a bit.

Actually, I have all three Kenda tubulars (Domestique, Super Domestique and Volare). Volares were on my Corima Aeros and used for racing for the last year. They're very competent in wet and dry grip, rolling resistance, ease of mounting. Pretty much a really good (and underrated tire). I only wish they came in 23 instead of 22. A bit too narrow for my taste, but like I said, I had no issues with them.

The Super Domestiques are OK, although I found them to run narrower than the Volares. The real underdog for me is the base version , the Domestique. Those can be found cheap, and are very decent. I glued some to a set of pristine Mavic Heliums I have and used them for a couple of races and they gave me zero problems. Very grippy and nice rolling.

FWIW, the tires are made by Challenge (or so I seem to remember) so they are reminiscent of some of their models. The Volare is pretty much a Criterium with a slightly different tread pattern.

In summary. Good, relatively inexpensive , all around tire.

(I know the MSRP on Volares is not inexpensive...but if you search around you can find them for a LOT less. THat's how I got mine)