3t fork alu sleeve slipping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Hi all , i have a cerevelo s1 with funda pro fork, carbon steerer , alu sleeve inside, the alu sleeve slips up when tightening headet. Any remedy out there? frame purchased in april so warrantied i guess but shiuld this happen? Epoxy in the steerer do it? Cheers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:Hi all , i have a cerevelo s1 with funda pro fork, carbon steerer , alu sleeve inside, the alu sleeve slips up when tightening headet. Any remedy out there? frame purchased in april so warrantied i guess but shiuld this happen? Epoxy in the steerer do it? Cheers...

not quite clear, did you glue (epoxy) the sleeve, or did you not

it is a must to glue it in

ross

by ross

I never bothered using the alu insert in my Funda forks. I ran for 2 years without it with no problems. However I did use a tall compression adjuster to preload the headset bearings:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... fAodYBYAFg

Once the bearing preload was set and the stem clamped up tight, I removed the BBB and installed a Carbon-Ti X-Plug and X-Cap

rd

by rd

If it hasn't been epoxied in to begin with, do that. A sachet of the right compound is available as a spare part from 3T if it's missing.

I would use this system in every carbon fork I possible could. It supports the steerer far better than a conventional compressor and puts no outward pressure on the carbon steerer tube. The only downside is difficulty in trimming the fork down the track should you reduce your stack height.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

If the 3T glue packet is unavailable, Dev Con 2 ton epoxy works fine for this purpose. The ID of the fork should be sanded lightly with 240ish paper, then it and the sleeve cleaned with rubbing alcohol prior to applying the epoxy. Place the fork upside down and allow the epoxy to cure.

Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...