Vittoria Rubino Pro splitting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bcmf

by bcmf

Was using Vittoria Rubino Pro.Bought the 2 at the same time so presumably from the same batch.
Long story short but on my 1st ride at correct psi the 1st tyre split on smooth road. Sh1te happens I thought to myself. Then a couple of hundred kms later the other split again on a very smooth road.
Dropped an email to the shop and they without any questions refunded me.Bad batch I thought to myself.
Then this eve I noticed on the Ultremo's I picked up that there was another split in the rubber. Again was under the max psi .I had the tyre at 135 psi.
WTF is going on?????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Pics? Why are you riding at such a high pressure? What is your setup? Rims, tube, rim tape, bike, weight etc....

Being vague doesn't help anybody answer your question..

bcmf

by bcmf

Why am I riding at such a high pressure?
The reason I like the Vittoria's is the fact you cam pump them up and I love them that way. Plus when I left the front wheel in for a spoke to be replaced on the Khamsin in my lbs he whacked the Vittoria up to 140 and said that they are best that way. He rides the same roads as me.
Will upload the pics in a bit.

motorthings

by motorthings

what do you weigh? running pressures that high unless you are super big does not make a lot of sense.

bcmf

by bcmf

I am super big. 95kg and proud :lol:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

120psi is plenty for a 200lb'er....however, don't think that fully explains your tire busting.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Definitely more to it than tire pressure but you should reduce. As Btompkins indicated around 120psi is better. Ou want your tire to be able to comfort to irregularities of the road rather than deflect off them...

bcmf

by bcmf

I have also posted this in another forum and it has been suggested that my pump gauge maybe out.
Its a possible explanation!!!!!!!
I will post pics tommorrow (its late and I have work in the morn :cry: )

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Popcorn ready....let the fun begin!

:smartass:

bcmf

by bcmf

Just an update.
The Rubino's split was a complete failure ie the thread and the carcass had split and was revealing the tube.
On inspection during full daylight of the Ultremo's - the inner casing was fully intact and it was just the outer rubber had split. Have reduced the ultremo's now to 120.

DMF

by DMF

You do realize that adding your own weight on top of those 135psi, actually increases the pressure even more. So you at 95kg at 135psi is not the same actual tire pressure as somebody 75kg riding 135psi. Think of it like filling a waterballoon nearly full and then squeezing it 'til it bursts...

You need to use wider tires, 25-28mm at your weight, so you can lower the pressure without getting snakebites. 23mm isn't for everyone.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Pressure is pressure. Doesn't change based on how much someone weighs. But I agree that he needs wider tires and lower pressures.

DMF

by DMF

In the case where the tire is filled to the point where it really doesn't deflect under pressure, doesn't squeezing it increase the pressure per square inch. The tire will try do deflect but there is just nowhere for the air to go, thus the tire will burst.

Think of it like placing a football in a vice grip, and squeezing it.

bcmf

by bcmf

Ok.So lower pressures and wider tyres for fat boy. Got it. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com