CAAD10 or Super Six?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

memym00bs

by memym00bs

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm UK based and looking for your advice on my next bike purchase. Currently riding a second-hand Planet X carbon with old 105/Ultegra and Mavic Ksyriums.

The bike is a bit tired and more concerningly, it it's starting to creak around the BB when I put the power down or on climbs, so am looking to get a new steed and finding every excuse to purchase!

I've narrowed it down to 2012 CAAD10 105 or 2012 Super Six 105 - the main thing that is swaying it is the price difference:

- I've found the CAAD10 105 with RS10s for £1000
- also found the Super Six 105 with Aksiums for £1400

Me:

- just getting into road cycling past 4 months, previously more MTBing
- prefer to do shorter ie 30 mile rides once/twice during the week with a longer 50-60 miles at the weekend, so roughly three times out per week
- I'm signed up to do a 50 miles sportive, then another 80 mile sportive
- overall want a bike to do improve fitness/do fast short rides with occasional longer one
- might possibly look at getting into road racing next year

Originally it was Super Six all the way, but I'm currently swayed toward the CAAD as it's £400 cheaper, which could go towards upgrades. I would sell the RS10s and keep my Mavics and sell the Gossamer chainset as I also have an FSA SLK Light chainset to go on the new bike. I'd look to upgrade 105 kit later on. If I went Super Six, I'd do the same and sell the wheels/cranks.

So what would you do? With the CAAD, I'm already £400 up for upgrades, but realise there's not a lot in it between the two frames (apart from alu v carbon debate).....

Any advice appreciated guys and have been lusting after the CAAD build thread.

Thanks

:D

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Loving your choice. I'm bias though.

I bought a brand new 2012 supersix this year and WW d it up;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98596

I also have a caad9 105 I ride all through the winter and to work! So I own basically the two bikes your looking at. Caad9 is similar to caad10, only heavier. Caad9 frame is 1400g caad10 is 1100g.

Supersix frame is 1100g so basically the two frames you are buying are the same weight, so from a WW point of view buy which ever you want.

They are both very very stiff in the BB area. Both go round corners like they are on rails, much better than a madone 5.2 (I've owned one) better than synapse carbon (I've owned one).

I love them both I love the caad9 being the last of the built in America, last of the smooth welds. Liquigas replica also helps prevent getting mown down on the way to work! Haha

But; there is no question that the supersix is a more comfortable bike, it transmits less to arse and wrists. I'd love to say the difference however is slight, but I'm afraid it's not, it is noticeable.

However, if shorter rides is where you are most of the time and you are looking at a price difference of +40%!!!!! And that spare cash could be pumped into the spec from the off, then the caad10 is very tempting!!!

Check my weight breakdowns from my build. I took off almost every part from my supersix from new, and it's scary just how heavy some of those parts are!!!! You could drop a lot of weight from a caad10 105 with £400 if your organised!

Keep us updated please (oh and go on, get the liquigas replica colours......)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

memym00bs

by memym00bs

That's great mate - thanks for the reply!

My god, your thread is cream-tastic - great build you did.

On the arse-judders, first upgrade was going to be a full carbon seatpost so hopefully that will help.

Yes, think I just need to ask myself how much the £400 diff would be.

On colours - it would be Liquigas on the CAAD obviously (as that's what 105 comes in), but it will have to be black/white on the S6.

AAAAHHH choices!

:roll:

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Your too kind, to be fair the WW team here did the hard work, and some keen looking on eBay for bits over many months.

The real shame would be to see either SS or caad10 ridden through our winters...

The £400 saved by going caad10 could get you a 2nd hand caad8 for winter duties.....

Then pimp up the caad10 through the winter as I did with my SS.....

Not at all convinced by carbon seatposts regarding comfort. I run an fizik Aliante on both my bikes, spent ages getting the setup just right and identical on both. The r-SYS I run are famous for have a smooth ride quality, £400 would go along way to a lightly used set... I think those and the right saddle ll do a lot more than a seatpost. But do change e seatpost, for weight reasons. As the standard cannondale one is criminally heavy!!!

motorthings

by motorthings

there was a comparison in a recent magazine showing the measured "give" of various carbon seatposts...but i can't remember which magazine. my main takeway was that a setback post was much more likely to be comfy.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

The article was in Velo 2-3 months back. Setback v. straight post is all about fit and not stiffness, however. Setback changes effective seat tube angle by a couple of degrees. Most frames are designed with this in mind so that a mild setback post is appropriate if it's a well-fitting frame. Straight posts came out of the MTB world and are seen more often on the road these days to accommodate the compromised S/M/L/XL sizing that is common in the carbon age. The added stiffness is true, but parenthetical to fit.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

runningrunningjump wrote:Not at all convinced by carbon seatposts regarding comfort.

You should try a syntace P6, night and day difference between most seatposts I've tried, completely transformed my winter trainer from something that beats me up on rough roads to something that glides over them... The new Hi-Flex is supposed to be even more comfortable... If I could find one cheaply I'd definitely snap it up
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

IMHO I would go CAAD10 all day over the SS unless you are considering an Evo hi-mod.

cambrook

by cambrook

Both great bikes, very similar in stiffness and handling, but I agree with runningrunningjump - the SuperSix is a noticeably smoother ride.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'm probably going to get murdered by all the "crank'n'fail" fans on this forum... But why not consider something else? I'm sure there are plenty of other nice bikes out there... like giants 8) :wink: If it was out of those two I'd toss a coin, can't go wrong with either one
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

memym00bs

by memym00bs

Thanks guys, always a tough choice when new toys are concerned. It's the standard (non hi mod) version of the super six I'm looking at.

Just checked again and the supersix is down by another £50 *yelp*

Trigger finger is itchy.

Doing my research there's not much in it, I'm also lightish at ~65kg and have ridden both Ali/carbon frames on the same roads and not noticed a great difference IMO.

Will keep you posted over the weekend and enjoy your rides if you're out and about.

C

andyindo

by andyindo

I found the Supersix to be a very stiff uncomfortable bike. I sold mine and find my alu Principia to be more comfortable. The Supersix is nice but I think I may be tempted to get the Caad10 rather. Its a lovely frame that you dont have to worry about dropping. The walls on the Supersix seem very thin as well.

Geoff

by Geoff

The SuperSix is a very well thought-out frame. It is very stiff, though. I can see why other posters have not liked it due to the harsh ride. It was designed for racing, and it shows in the bottom bracket and headtube stiffness (as stiff as any in my collection).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

memym00bs

by memym00bs

Thanks andyindo and Geoff for your comments - much appreciated.

I'm not doing 100% racing as am wanting something that is moving from a comfort frame to a racing machine, which I think the CAAD will fall nicely into.

Plus for the ~£400 money saving it means I can get my upgrades in :beerchug:

Cheers