very weak cage tension in XX rear Der

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

my sram XX rear derailleur has lost a lot of tension in the cage, so much that hitting roots and bumps throws out the chain when on the big rings. On the small ring, the chain slaps everywhere.

I tried dismounting the cage to have a look but it looks like the sram XX rear derailleur cant be entierly dismounted...

any help welcomed

devinci

by devinci

I fixed the problem. There is very little information on this particular issue. PM me if you need help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Why not just post the solution so that everyone reading can find the answer without all the Pm's back and forth. Also, you are making more work for yourself. Also, someone searching the archives in 3 years for this problem will have to PM you and you will have to PM them back.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Colin

by Colin

A friend of mine had this happen to him, SRAM warrantied it no questions asked. I'd be interested in how you managed to fix it.

devinci

by devinci

yourdaguy wrote:Why not just post the solution so that everyone reading can find the answer without all the Pm's back and forth. Also, you are making more work for yourself. Also, someone searching the archives in 3 years for this problem will have to PM you and you will have to PM them back.

yeah sorry

I just didnt have time to write the solution. Here is the PM I just sent to a member

----------------------------------------

I think my problem was caused because the cage spring had popped out of its original place.

You need to disassemble the der and take out the spring. Here are the steps:

1-remove back wheel

2-remove both pulley and inner cage

3-now you need to remove the outer cage. First, take off the small allen bolt that stops the cage from going too far with the spring tension

4-once you removed the bolt, you can rotate the remaining outer cage, rorate it so the spring tension is at its weakest spot

5-Now you need to extend the derailleur by hand, you will see a tiny star head screw where the spring is hidden.

6- untighten the screw, it wont come out completely.

7- move the outer cage in back and foward, you should see the tiny screw come out while doing this.

8- careful, at this point the cage could come out and the spring as well. The outer cage needs to be in a precise position to be removed though. Inside you will find the spring.

9- remove spring, clean spring and clean the shaft on on outer cage. Regrease both.

10- look inside the place where the spring was installed, you might need a flashlight. You will see 3 holes where you can fit the spring, choose the hole thats gonna give as much tension to you cage as possible.

11- insert spring in choosen hole, put back cage, rotate to original palce then put back the allen bolt that will stop the cage from going too far.

12- tighten the star head screw

13-put back pulleys and cage, you're good to go.

When you choose your hole and replace the cage in its original position, you should feel a very big tension in the cage, some kind of tension that could snap your finger if you let the cage go. It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it, nothing tells you how to do that on the net.

It gave back some nice tension in my derailleur, maybe not as if it was new but much better then 2 days ago when the chain would go floppy.

let me know if you have any other question. Its a pretty simple operation actually, you should'nt have any problems, just dont lose any parts.

zippy895

by zippy895

OK ,there are no extra holes to mount spring into body to give it more tension.it (spring)is situated in a cut out slot in the body.so what i did was drilled one in the cage .there is a slight depression in the cage that acts like a pilot hole..starter for drill bit.
also, that small phillips screw is what holds the cage into the body. un screw it and at the same time with a small flat blade driver ,apply pressure to blade n the screw will pull right out. xx long cage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com