new super light from TREK for 2013

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Hmmm, doesn't look as nice as a Scott or Flash. Trek/Fisher don't have the greatest reputation for being lightweight and durable. I wonder how much it costs and how long the warranty lasts. Scott is only 5 years, Cannondale is lifetime.

jbbikerider

by jbbikerider

Hmm,

Riding behind a guy today though some big rocks and single track and oh $hit I hear a sound that wasn't good. He ripped a 2 inch gouge into his new Trek Superfly. It was a pretty bike. Past tense.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

limba wrote:Hmmm, doesn't look as nice as a Scott or Flash. Trek/Fisher don't have the greatest reputation for being lightweight and durable. I wonder how much it costs and how long the warranty lasts. Scott is only 5 years, Cannondale is lifetime.

Trek has been lifetime as well.

Colin

by Colin

I think they both look great! In my experience Trek/Bontager's claimed weights are pretty close to actual weights, so hopefully we'll see some super light builds! Interesting that others have had poor experience with Trek's durability, I've always had good luck! *knocks on wood*. There's a 2004 Top Fuel 100 sitting in out garage that's still going strong, a few chips in the paint, but no cracks!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I have seen a few broken Gary Fisher's but few Trek's. Kind of weird. I would assume they'd use the same carbon/manufacturing process, but Trek's seem to be more durable.

limba

by limba

The old Fisher Supercalibers or Procalibers (aluminum) bikes were brutal. I think everyone around here that bought one broke it. Then when Trek swallowed Fisher (three years ago?) those bikes had problems too. You're right though, I don't remember many people breaking Trek carbon road or mtn bikes.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I damaged a top end 2008 trek carbon frame in 2009, My fault, wasnt asking for anything for free! went back to shop cap in hand. Expecting an expensive end to the story, maybe a half or 3/4s price replacement. Shop put a call into trek uk;

Nope. No crash replacement. Youll have to buy another, full price, no discount, nothing. Not only that but they didn't have any frames so id have to buy a whole new £2500 bike.

This was my one and only time I'd bought trek. Of course as you can emagine I went back to cannondale, bless the shop they traded in my trek.

Friend cracked a cannondale turine, cannondale just shipped the shop a flash frame, no cost.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

In all fairness, it's a warranty against manufacturing defects, not a "throw your bike off a mountain and get a free replacement policy".

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Your quite right!

However this happened to be a madone road bike, and simply over tightened a bolt on the seat mast (that they dropped the following year) and cracked the frame. Maybe I'm being unfair but at the time it felt a little unfair.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Trek RUNS carbon replacement crash program. You usually get 30-40% off of new frame. In this instance they would probably offer 5.2 as this is the one which is also sold as frame only. So your shop gave you a bu...it information mate to get rid of you.
Have you called Trek personally? I bet not, because if you did they would sort you out. I know as i had same problem in UK. I found that is the best solution sometimes - call manufacturer/distributor directly. Shops often don't know what is happening even when they sell you the stuff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com