Merek Carbon Saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

baldkingpin

by baldkingpin

Did a ww search and only found one reference to this 110g saddle (and it was only in a part list). Anyone have experience with this one? It can be had for $75US (free shipping), might be what I'm looking for re: a disposable thrasher race saddle:
Mod's: Please leave link so people can see the saddle to comment on it.

Emptei

by Emptei

Had one for a few months, it's stiff... really stiff! It worked well on my sit bones, but I couldn't ride on it for more than an hour. Otherwise, it's built very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Any other experience? They range from 95-120g and $70-120. Sounds like a good deal. Carbon is carbon, however I guess the quality and design can vary.

enigmamdw

by enigmamdw

Have the Merek SSL Carbon Saddle and Stem for 4 months now and at least for it's more comfortable than any previous saddle I've owned. Last ride was 2 hours and saddle discomfort was not one of my issues. I'm 210lbs so the wings flex (as they should) under weight. I can imagine a lighter rider not finding one as comfortable.

I also have the integrated handlebars and am thoroughly impressed so far... very nice, solid construction.

My saddle was under claimed weight at 94g and the handlebars were slightly over at 427g.

keihoop

by keihoop

Considering putting a pair of Merek Carbon Bars on my new ride. I see comments about them here and there. Does anyone have a "final" evaluation on the integrity of their parts? Bars, Stems, Saddles....just an overall if you will? The pricing of course is what shakes the confidence but they seem to match up tit for tat on all other aspects so it is very tempting to purchase something and give er a go.

Thanks for any help.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I have had my Merek carbon seat since last year and I have been happy with it. Carbon seats are NOT for everyone though. I have put 3,000-4,000 miles on it, so mine has been very durable. I can ride it for 3+ hours no problem, but alot of people's sit bones can only handle an hour. I guess it really just depends on how the saddle fits you. If it fits you it is a great buy.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I have two of the "mega dcs" saddles. i have zero pain with them - they're great and all i ride now. no signs of wear after thousands of miles.

efAston

by efAston

The Merek saddles currently on eBay have a flexy wishbone bit at the back, which may have solved the stiffness problem.

This may be a silly question, but doesn't flexibility impede power transfer anyway? I know back when I had a hybrid, any time I tried to stand on the pedals, all my effort would just go into bouncing the bike up and down on its front suspension. I've got no problem with the padding in my knicks, but, it is only over rough stuff that these seats give, isn't it (not under pedal strokes)?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No, it does not impede power.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I've been riding one for about 6 months now, Mega DCS if I remember correctly. I like wide, hard saddles, and this one fit the bill at 108g. I haven't done anything longer than 3 hours at a time, but for the most part it's really not that different than the last el cheapo wide, flat saddle I rode for years.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I have two of the Mega (the wide 110g one) and it's all I ride. very stiff, but i've put thousands of miles on them with no problems or real discomfort.

i would only caution:

(1) it can cause extra wear on your bibs
(2) if you hit a pothole, know that all that shock is going right into your sit bones. i unweight the saddle when i see a big bump coming.

other than that, i'm very happy with them.

enigmamdw

by enigmamdw

I have Merek carbon saddles on all my cycles, and bars and seatposts on my all carbon bike. 1000s of miles on my original, and just bought another last month. So far very resilient, my oldest has suffered a crash along with my Clydesdale self (220lbs) for the last couple of years. Good stuff, flexes where you want it too and stiff where if counts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com