Which wheels will make me faster?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'm currently riding a Cervelo S2 bike with Dura-Ace DI2.
Wheels I'm racing on now are the Miche SWR full carbon with Schwalbe Ultremo HT tubulars.
A classical V-shape carbon tubular rim (38mm height in front, 50mm height in the back) with bladed spokes and hub with SKF bearing.

I'm very pleased abvout those wheels, not the lightest but very stiff

See link of the wheels:

My question: which other pair of full carbon tubular wheels would make me faster in races?
-FFWD F6R
-FFWF F9R in the back and F6R in the front
-Planet-X Pro carbon front 50 and rear 82 wheels
-Zipp 404 and 808
-Zipp 404

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I have experience with both the F6R and Zipp, as well as similar wheels as the planet-x (gigantex).

The F6Rs are best bang for the buck, very nice, aero, durable wheels. FFWD's build quality is among the best I've seen. Get the version with their hubs, the premium for DT is so totally not worth it. (PM me if you need more info)

The latest Zipps are great - if you got the money, I'd go that route.

The gigantex wheels are a good option if you worry about replacing your race wheels in case of a crash. They don't really offer any benefit over your existing wheels though..

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wheels do not make you faster.
Training, skill, and tactics will make you faster.

Aero wheels will only reduce the amount of energy you need to get to whatever you determine fast to be.
They do not, and never will, make you faster.
No component will ever make you faster.

:smartass:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sawyer

by sawyer

Really? So training which increases available wattage allowing you a higher top speed, makes you faster, but aero wheels which make better use of that wattage, allowing you a higher top speed, don't make you faster?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

In your interpretation, you are correct.
Last edited by prendrefeu on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

...oh boy here we go...
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm surprised there was one product answer before the more obvious answer.

FWIW, I've been trying out different wheels and while I'd love to say I noticed a difference going from my ROL D'Huez wheels to 50mm carbon deep-v wheels to nothing-fancy C2 belgium rims laced to double-butted spokes... I really can't. The latter are a little more comfortable though... I actually did my best TT on the belgiums just last night :noidea:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

:doh:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I also agree with swithing from the Miche wheels to another brand of aero wheels will not make you faster. Yes some are more areo than others but only by a little. Bigger gains will be had from training and race tatics. You may even have (I would say you will certinaly have) trouble putting any change in times moving from wheel to another down to the change of wheels, as there are so many variables. Which is why when reps come round and say the sky team rode to victory on this, I think the product is not the reason why they won, there a bloody good team.

http://www.enve.com/cache/DOC203_WheelT ... 0626022821

I think this article shows the differences are real and measureable but all wheels where pretty similar apart from the control. I am sure the Miche wheels will be in the ball park too. Hell they even say riding the control wheel to any of the test wheels is equivelent to 15-23W at 30 mph, it won't change your cycling life.

by 2011

Just to further drive the nail into the coffin... wheels are not going to make you instantly overall faster. Aero wheels may save you maybe a few seconds in a hour long race against the clock, but they won't instantly propel you ahead of your competition. The few seconds you save with aero wheels will be lost anyway when you stop pedaling for a few second to grab a sip of water.

If you want your money to make you faster... instead of putting money into wheels, put it into a cycling coach for a month or two and having a good training program.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Whichever wheels cost the most are obviously the fastest. Haven't you learned anything from cycling adverts?

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

just look around the cycle training section and you will gain much more than a set of aerodynamic wheels

ticou

by ticou

As the heaviest rider here, I am a better judge of wheel improvements to speed. Lower rotating mass, eg my upgrade from aksiums to elites, is the difference between a 34 daily driver and a 50- a gargantuan difference in even basic rolling along speed. And I know this will increase even more massively if I decide to spend £2k on Campy hyperon 2 clinchers.

In the real world, pound for pound, Campy use the best wheel bearings; I'm sure the Zonda's will outperform my elites, even though they are the same weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

prendrefeu wrote:Wheels do not make you faster.
Training, skill, and tactics will make you faster.

Aero wheels will only reduce the amount of energy you need to get to whatever you determine fast to be.
They do not, and never will, make you faster.
No component will ever make you faster.

:smartass:

sigh.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk