Very weird bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mgr

by mgr

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what the heck this is, other than its a bike with a lot of carbon on it...

it was taken by some guys in trento italy.

system787

by system787

Are those another set of arms attached to the crank arms? The q-factor must be really wide with that..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:unbelievable:

I'm seeing an interesting stem...
...and interesting rear wheel fairing...
... wth is that thing on the back?

and the bottle cage is glued on...

...and the fork looks to be all custom, too.

and the frame has a strange underside of the downtube, almost like it's not aero but more of a stringray shape.

and those pedal extensions are built off of THM Claviculas!!
And those are Lightweights....

:unbelievable:

Tell me you took more detailed shots!!
Where was this spotted?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

elviento

by elviento

Interesting might be an understatement here.

The BB seems really high though, like 400mm. Although you would need it, as the two-piece crank arm would likely be 340mm when extended (that would mean pedalling in really really large circles?!).

Could be an electric bike though, with all the contraption behind the seat tube and within the fairings.

Do show more pics.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

mgr

by mgr

im sorry i dont have any more pics. not me that toke them :(

It was spotted it trento, Italy

mgr

by mgr

at the moment im thinking its a mad man with to much time on his hand with a lot of carbon or some kind of hybrid bike.

Since it was spotted in Italy. I thin the first teory might be the correct one.

micky

by micky

elviento wrote:Interesting might be an understatement here.

The BB seems really high though, like 400mm. Although you would need it, as the two-piece crank arm would likely be 340mm when extended (that would mean pedalling in really really large circles?!).

Could be an electric bike though, with all the contraption behind the seat tube and within the fairings.

Do show more pics.

If not eletrict it might have some other solution inside that giant BB area for get some energy while pedaling (a spring?).

Franklin

by Franklin

The pedal construction is plain weird. A moment I thought perhaps this guy is disabled and can't bend his knee, but even then the contraption is pointless. Why even bother with the crank in the first place if that is the problem.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

That kind of crank assembly allows multiple crank lengths by varying the angle between the two arms. Similar things are used on some size cycles. Why it is built off a clavicula donor crank is a mystery though?

The large metal plate at the bb allows the bb to be positioned at various heights by rotating it to the desired position.

My guess is that its some kind of whack-job size cycle. With lightweights. And a bazooka. And full carbon construction.

artray

by artray

Its a prototype ,its what Sky will be riding next year . :lol:

gg333

by gg333

errm... he has a mirror!! wtf is this? :noidea:

spacepolice2

by spacepolice2

Um. Surely that thing on the back is the battery pack for an electric motor, and the bizarre pedal arrangement is set up like the throttle pedal on a motorbike? ie. it's not a human powered machine. You'll notice wires coming out of where the BB is, and the oversized chunky construction is probably necessary to contain and resist the forces generated by the motor.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am so very confused. Would you be able to pedal that? I can't help but think that a normal pedalling motion would yield you very little power at the bottom bracket
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drchull

by drchull

My first thought was it is set up for someone with a BKA and a cleat on their prosthesis. Then to make me more confused I noticed that the drive side crank doesn't appear to be anywhere that makes sense. If it was 180 to the non-drive side you should see it from the angle in the top picture. It doesn't look to be at the same position either if set up like motorbike as mentioned above as you would also see the through the rear wheel.
I will be very curious to see what it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madmole

by madmole

Right pedal is also at the bottom, visible under BB. Wires from BB and wires from the "water bottle"/battery behind saddle

Would hazard a guess its a gearbox in the BB and the cranks allow peddaling if needed, but fold for powered drive and more comfy feet position. Looks like a internal geared read hub as well
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg