CHALLENGE ROAD CRITERIUM 700x22 TUBULAR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ricorob

by ricorob

Anyone have any experience with this tire? Pros/Cons?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Good tire but maybe not the best in wet. Riding Challenge Criterium Seta Extra now. Good priced if you can't afford A. Dugast or FMB but want the soft comfortfeeling. Can ride higher pressure in my Challenge tires with same comfort as with 1bar lower on my Continental Competition tubes.

SLight

by SLight

Challenge is my prefered tubular brand but only use the Forte in 24mm now. It depend on where you ride really. On perfect dry tarmac the Crit may be a little faster.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The only con I can think about is their lack of image and I think their logo could be a bit classier as well. Other than that I rank them in the same league as Vittoria's EVO CX just below the big three: Veloflex, FMB and Dugast.

Plus side is that you can often find them at very reasonable prices.... :thumbup:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ricorob

by ricorob

My two most cost effective choices are the following-
CHALLENGE ROAD CRITERIUM 700x22 TUBULAR NERONE 320 tpi - all black - $50 USD
SCHWALBE TUBULAR ULTREMO HT 700x22 300 tpi - $72 USD
While it would be nice to ride either the Veloflex, FMB or Dugast, it's not within my means to spend $100 - $150 per tire. That equates to as much as $1000 a year just for bike tires. Which tire would you ride of these two? From what I've read, it seems the Ultremo has pathetic tread life.

Richyo

by Richyo

ricorob wrote:From what I've read, it seems the Ultremo has pathetic tread life.

and puncture protection(look at how many flats RSNT/Leopard got in the spring classics :shock: the last few years)

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

Hey Ricorob...

where are you getting the challenges for $50? I need some new tires and actually really like these (particularly for the cost), but I can't find them that cheap anymore and now if I'm going to spend 80 bucks a tire, I'll go back to veloflex.

cheers
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

It's the slippiest tires I have ever tried... With a distance. :shock: Other than that, nice ride, but I punctured 4 in 4 races. Needless to say, I don't use them anymore...

ricorob

by ricorob

@mattiTworoads - I've got a connection to get them for $50.

Snicks

by Snicks

Not bad, I've ridden both and prefer my Evo's more, but not by much.

NEITHER are good in the wet though :(

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Mario Jr. wrote:It's the slippiest tires I have ever tried... With a distance. :shock: Other than that, nice ride, but I punctured 4 in 4 races. Needless to say, I don't use them anymore...

I can only say the same. They cost me 2 crashes a couple of seasons ago. Both because they slipped in a corner and in dry condition! I have never crashed before and never after because of a slippery tires in a corner on any other tires in the 15 seasons I have raced. They are dangerous!
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

JamieL

by JamieL

I bought a pair of these and thought i'd give them a go. Went back to Conti sprinters when i got a puncture and found i wasn't as happy on corners. Didn't really notice any difference between them and the sprinters in terms of rolling resistance.
Recently moved onto Veloflex Record and without a doubt they are in a different league from the contis and the criteriums.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Recently moved onto Veloflex Record and without a doubt they are in a different league from the contis and the criteriums.

Sure but don't expect too much in terms of mileage and puncture resistance though.
After all it is a tubular designed for TT and not much else.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ElChaba

by ElChaba

I have found that the Challenge tubulars ride very nicely...above what you might expect for their cost...and they are generally pretty straight and free of lumps...BUT, I have never been able to get to the point where I have significantly worn the tire before the basetape begins to loosen and seperate. The problem is worse if the tires have seen some rain, but they don't have to get wet at all for the problem to start. If channe fixed the problem, they would definitely be the $5 cigar for $2...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com