Cervélo R3 with Record 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fio
in the industry

by fio

Finally got these glued up and ready to roll. I haven't weighed the bike with the new wheels yet, but I estimating that it'll be just below a pound in weight savings, putting it right around 15lbs. I rode them today on a training ride and I have to say they feel great. Super stiff and hold speed really well. I'm impressed by the FC properties, as getting blown around in a crosswind has always been something that has affected me quite a bit as I'm a small rider. Overall, very pleased with the purchase.

Took this pic just before my ride this morning. Sorry for the relatively poor image quality, I'll try to get some nice ones later.

fio
in the industry

by fio

Took this at Tour of America's Dairyland today. Raced in the 2/3s and the wheels definitely helped. They really fly on the flats! I'm very pleased. However, the Yellow Kings don't play very nice with the brake track. They brake just fine, but they leave some discoloration behind. I was able to wipe it off, but I don't really want to be doing this every time I ride them. I'll probably swap them out for the Zipp Tangente pads.

and just being cute...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

good looking Cervelo+Campagnolo bike!

I love the combo!

TheMadRapper

by TheMadRapper

Nice bike, but it's not colour coordinated enough for my taste. Red component detailing on a white and blue frame just doesn't work. If you want to use SR, then I'd have gone for the Team version of that frame which has a black, red and white colourway. Personally, I'd use Shimano on this frame, but I have OCD about the way my bikes look.

Obviously it'd be silly to get a new frame now you've bought that, but were I you then I'd put white bar tape on for a start, and replace the saddle with the white Fizik Arione with the blue stripe down the centre (or a white version of the saddle you have if you don't get on with the Arione). The Thompson seat post you've mentioned should be fine. Possibly change the chainset for a Rotor 3D+ when funds allow. Oh, and the white Elite cages with blue detailing to finish it off.

fio
in the industry

by fio

TheMadRapper wrote:Nice bike, but it's not colour coordinated enough for my taste. Red component detailing on a white and blue frame just doesn't work. If you want to use SR, then I'd have gone for the Team version of that frame which has a black, red and white colourway. Personally, I'd use Shimano on this frame, but I have OCD about the way my bikes look.

Obviously it'd be silly to get a new frame now you've bought that, but were I you then I'd put white bar tape on for a start, and replace the saddle with the white Fizik Arione with the blue stripe down the centre (or a white version of the saddle you have if you don't get on with the Arione). The Thompson seat post you've mentioned should be fine. Possibly change the chainset for a Rotor 3D+ when funds allow. Oh, and the white Elite cages with blue detailing to finish it off.

Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying that I know that you mean well, but honestly, lots of what you suggested here just doesn't jive with me. I don't mean any offence by this post, but what follows is just why this is my bike and not your bike :)

First off, a Team R3 is simply unavailable in size 48. When I bought this bike in April they were saying that they wouldn't have them in until August. That doesn't matter anyways because the team I'm on has a blue, black, and white kit with bits of red in it (and it all goes together rather well if you ask me).

Second, I'm simply not a Shimano person. Campy works for me in all ways. Lever shape, shifting mechanism, feel of the shifting, durability, and looks...all the way that I like it.

Third, I prefer the white bike with black component look because, well, I've never seen it before on a Cervelo like this. The white bar tape/saddle thing has been done to death. This looks way better to me, and it stands out. And going with white bar tape, saddle, and cages with blue in them just seems way overdone and gaudy to me.

Lastly, the rest of your suggestions are all form over function, which I simply do not agree with. I have an SLR because of its narrow width and small profile. I had an Arione in the past and it was too big. I have the Arundels because they are super durable; I've had Elite cages in the past that snapped within a week of usage. And why would I change the crankset out? This one fits perfectly, goes with the rest of the group, and was a special order. Really no point in swapping it.

Honestly, I like this bike because not only is is functionally amazing (the main reason I went with Cervelo), but it's unique as well. I'd rather not have the red, black, and white R3 with Shamano and an Arione that every old guy out there has. This bike is different and it's staying that way :thumbup:
Last edited by fio on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMadRapper

by TheMadRapper

I absolutely meant no offence whatsoever, perhaps I didn't go far enough to state that it was all 'IMHO' and with no desire to cause offence at all. I don't think anything I suggested was form over function, but aesthetics. Well, apart from the saddle, but I did say if the Arione wasn't your bag then try a white version of the saddle you have.

As long as you are happy then that's all that matters. You're far more flexible then I am, so I'll Ssssh! ;) In fact, I'll give you the opportunity to laugh at my spacer tower and upturned stem - this is my 56cm Cervelo. I've since upgraded the wheels to Ksyrium Elites.

bananastand

by bananastand

ahahha themadrapper's RS is way uglier! ahaha

How about some tiagra to go with those curved seat stays?

ahhaha.

just trolling. nbd.
Last edited by bananastand on Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

madrapper must be trolling.

apLe

by apLe

I really like your bike, fio, except for the post. Maybe sth from 3T or Thomson as you have Thomson stem. IMO, white/blue with red touches (but not with that post :)) is a good connection! Cervelo and Campy is always good, the best for me.
18' R5 coming soon...

ross

by ross

TheMadRapper wrote:I don't think anything I suggested was form over function, but aesthetics.

Aesthetically speaking, fio's bike shits all over yours :lol: :welcome:

bananastand

by bananastand

Last edited by bananastand on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fio
in the industry

by fio

This thread is hilarious. Thanks everyone for the laughs and comments (including TheMadRapper...seriously) :thumbup:

Anyways, regarding my bike, I have some updates which will soon be photographed. They include:

K-Edge Mount for Garmin Edge
Prologo Scratch Nack (in Hard Black, naturally)
Look Keo Blades

And I have planned:
KMC X11SL Gold chain
3T Rotundo bars
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
Thomson X2 120mm stem (as opposed to the 110mm on there now)

Once it all comes together I will take some pictures. Stay tuned...

theklm753

by theklm753

bikesnobyvr wrote:lol

madrappaz aesthetic prescription
is worse than conscription
of a mountain bike tire
to reduce road contact friction
His white red RS
which he says is the best
has shimano and mavic
nuff said - fails the test
now we only be dissing
cause his remarks were all pissin
on rio's good vision
madrappa my vote for yo bike?
itz missin!

BOOM!

You made my day ! :mrgreen:

NapD

by NapD

I currently have the team R3 with Rotor 3D+ cranks and SRAM Red. I'm sorely tempted to go Campag myself.
I've just put 0G brakes on too so all I'll need are shifters and mechs.

Who knows, I may even start a thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

NapD wrote:I currently have the team R3 with Rotor 3D+ cranks and SRAM Red. I'm sorely tempted to go Campag myself.
I've just put 0G brakes on too so all I'll need are shifters and mechs.

Who knows, I may even start a thread.

Why bother when not changing to the best braking brakes and the finest looking cranks (with a top stiffness to weight ratio) in the industry.

Not to forget you'd have to change cassettes/freewheel/rear wheel