Chamois Creams, what do you use?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

russianbear

by russianbear

Unless you're riding multiple, consecutive 6+ hour days in the saddle you don't need any cream. If you do, then get some better bibs/saddle that fits better.

Sir

by Sir

I just use the moisturizing hand cream. Cheap and works wonders. Think the tubs of Cetaphil if you are in the usa.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

russianbear wrote:Unless you're riding multiple, consecutive 6+ hour days in the saddle you don't need any cream. If you do, then get some better bibs/saddle that fits better.

Needing and preferring are two different things. I never used anything for years. Never had an issue even remotely that would make me think I needed anything. One day, for the heck of it and in recommendation from someone local, I tried some. Couldn't tell a difference. I had a few Assos sample packs here, so I figured I try them. I tried those and after a few rides the difference was obvious. Tried a few different brands to see if there was much difference, and to my surprised they were all pretty much the same.

rOYk

by rOYk

russianbear wrote:Unless you're riding multiple, consecutive 6+ hour days in the saddle you don't need any cream. If you do, then get some better bibs/saddle that fits better.

russianbear, The question if I need cream or not is all mine. Believe me that I have experienced all bib's shorts you can imagine and now I use Assos and Pearl Izumi. I know by heart how each and every saddle feel's like after 3H ride, I even flow to Italy and made me a custom Selle San Marco saddle. Nothing is too comfortable for me and the cream is the biggest difference I felt, it wasn't better bib or body geometry saddle.

p.s the custom saddle didn't work for me, I use SLR with the new "nose job", this is the only saddle I can use fluidly for the entire season

markrhino

by markrhino

assos cream or baby cream :D

rOYk

by rOYk

markrhino wrote:assos cream or baby cream :D

I've tried some baby cream as substitute for the Assos cream, the problem I found with baby creams was the texture, some cream are too thin and adsorbed into the skin too fast and you feel "dry" in half an hour. the other kind is too thick, the cream feels like a layer of cement, you don't feel the lubrication and the cream stains the bib and the chamois.

swaits

by swaits

I currently use Doc's. I only need it on longer rides. I like that it uses good ingredients.

http://docsskincare.com/products.php

I've also been satisfied with DZ Nuts in the past.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Mad Alchemy mostly. But I have a big tub of Utterly Smooth as well. Both work well, one is much more expensive ;)

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I dont use any cream. Nothing.

Rick

by Rick

I use a mixture of common beach sand and walnut shells that have been coarsely ground in a pepper mill. Blend 50/50 with Nutella.
It really toughens your hide down there.

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

stella-azzurra wrote:Never used anything even for 140-160 mile rides.

majklnajt wrote:I dont use any cream. Nothing.

+3 granted i haven't done super long rides but I've not needed it and was wondering if its even a necessity outside of stage races
On Plastic Existence

avispa

by avispa

rOYk wrote:Hi,

I do long and intense rides 6 times a week, if I don't use chamois cream for the ride, my bottoms get sore like hell. Usually I use Assos cream and it works great, I have tried Nallini cream and few more.

As a bike and gear lover, I roam the net and read a bout new products, I never new that there so many chamois cream out in the market (I'm from Israel, we have all from all here, chamois creams not so much). What kind of cream do you people use?

Thank's in advance

Roy

Roy,

I live in a hot/humid area (So. Florida). In the Summer, it is critical that those of us riders that live here, protect ourselves very well to avoid complications down in that area! :oops:
I ran a test using the identical kind of shorts and about six different creams and the one that BY FAR that gave me better results was DZ NUTS.

The other brands I used were: Rapha, Assos, Elite Protect Cream, Hammer Nutrition Seat Saver, and a cream from Argentina called Crema de Ordeñe. The last one is a great cream to treat damaged skin that riders there use (the creams we use are very expensive over there or not available).

One thing I have found is that the cream alone won't do the job. You have to have a strict regime of cleaning yourself and getting of your shorts ASAP to avoid getting germs. Sometimes, the problems in the crotch come from lack of care rather than the wrong cream used.

I do not like creams that are too light as those get absorbed by the shorts' pads leaving your skin vulnerable. The thickness of the DZ NUTS is ideal and so is Rapha's. But I think the ingredients of DZ NUTS are better at least, they work for me and a few guys I know around here.

..A..

avispa

by avispa

deleted... double post!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have been fortunate to have a, well-known Pro Tour MD, help me with my cycling training/workout/cycling schedule, for 3-4 years.

I asked him (3-4 years ago) what he reccomends as a chamois cream, and he said:

"because of all the variouse things added to many current creams (like scents, dyes, and other chemicals), riders seems to develop irritations and allergies to them". [I am paraphrazing, somewhat]

His recommendation: Vaseline

(little if ever, do folks have an issue with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). And it works great)

That has been my experience.