Parlee Z1 vs Colnago C59

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ufgators

by Ufgators

This is all really helpful... Just trying to decide what exactly I want in a bike. I have a Parlee Z5 SL that I love, but I just have the itch to buy another bike! It's hard for me to tell if the parlee z5 sl is stiff enough or if it is just the lightweight standard IIIs I run on them. I guess I would prefer something a bit more snappy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

define snappy...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It's not you, it's me.
It's not your bike, it's you.
You want more snappy, go to your parents and trade in your genes for "snappier" ones.

Ufgators

by Ufgators

By snappy I mean more responsive. Hey I just want to buy another bike, I don't really believe that it is going to make me faster. Why do people buy sports cars? Because they race? Same thing.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

You already have a Parlee. Get the Colnago.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Just ask for a bit stiffer chain stays and down tube... You'll have it.

Rush

by Rush

c50jim wrote:With the Colnago, you get Colnago handling - perhaps a little slow feeling at slow speed, very stable and predictable at high speed and handles bumps well. Ride any Colnago (I've owned 13 so far - dumb I know but what's an old retired guy to do but ride his bike and buy more in winter when it's too crummy outside to ride?) and they all handle about the same for the same size. Ride quality may differ with my Master and C40s somewhat smoother than my EPS or Extreme Power. Personally, I love C40s and keep buying them any time I see one my size on eBay or elsewhere so I'll have enough to last me til I quit riding.

As for stiffness and compliancy, I haven't ridden a C59. However, I'd rate both my Parlees a little less stiff and more compliant than my EPS, my most recent Colnago. Then again, tell Parlee what you want and they'll build it.

Have you compared the geometries of your bikes? In particular dimensions such as chainstay length, front centre length, bottom bracket height and fork trail?

JWolf

by JWolf

Depends on what you want. I'm starting a custom z1 project right now. I've owned Colnago's in the past and they are probably my favorite all time brand. However, it fun to change things up and try something new. I'm riding Cervelo's now and really love the way they ride and feel. You could always make a Z1 with the Colnago geometry, and have a "Colnago Z1". Also, it's pretty cool to have unlimited painting options.

Ufgators

by Ufgators

decisions, decisions ... does anyone know if there is really that much difference between z5 sl and z1?

JWolf

by JWolf

All the difference in the world. Custom versus stock. The reason you buy a z1 IMO is to get a custom fit.

Ufgators

by Ufgators

The stock small with tall headtube Z5 sl fits me like a glove. can slam the stem with no spacers. Any difference in handling/ feel?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ufgators wrote:Any difference in handling

There's 2 pages now on what differences in handling you're able to get....

Ufgators

by Ufgators

FYI tenedia. There is nothing comparing the handling of the z5 sl to z1

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The Z1 can handle however you want it to. That's what custom means. The Z5 is pretty good, but really it depends on your body structure and what you personally prefer. No one can definitively say one is better than the other, especially since every Z1 is pretty much unique

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jediknights

by jediknights

I sell both and have road both. They are BOTH the best bikes I have ever road. The handling and ride characteristics are similar but the Colnago you will feel a bit more confident descending. If you want the absolute best in craftsmanship, tune ability, and materials go for the Parlee. If you want something a bit more flash go Colnago. Regardless you can not choose wrong.
Any more questions call EastWestBikes
Theforcetraining.com