Bearings for Mavic Classics SSC Ceramic Wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I really hate to post a request like this, but I have searched, asked Mavic reps on two continents and did not get a proper response. Here goes:

I have a set of Mavic Classics SSC Ceramic wheels from year 2000.
I would like to replace the bearings both front / back and cannot identify the number and size of the bearings needed for this wheelset. (I believe there are five bearings in total (2 front, 3 rear) but cannot be certain.)

The goal is to see if some replacement bearings from Phil Wood would work.
I am hesitant to crack these wheels open myself because (1) I ride them and want a limited down time and (2) I don't have a proper bearing tap right now.

Any experience and/advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Stoli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daj

by daj

Rear hub uses one 6901 and one 608 bearing.
Front hub uses two 6901 bearings.
This can be found at the tech-mavic.com website, and the Mavic reps should know that ;) usernameL: mavic-com, password: dealer (click on "prior 2007 documentation")

The FTS-L freehub uses a nylon bushing and a ball bearing (I thought it was a 608 but I might be wrong). But I would recommend to get a "Mavic crossmax freehub bushing" on ebay from seller "jbosboom" to get a new nylon bushing and ball bearing for the freehub (not affiliated with the guy but he just sells the best/most complete package for the price)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Wow, that is stellar daj!

I guess the reps I spoke to are just plain lazy. (The one in the USA mentioned he would put in stock Mavic bearings but failed to answer the original question about the number of bearings and size.)

Thanks for the quick response. Much obliged for the additional advice on bushings.