I need advice for Road Tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcio riva

by marcio riva

I'm using Michelin tires for some time now, since I bought the first pair of pro2 race tires and my problems with cut tires end, durability was good, then used the pro 3 race and the tire seem less durable but at least I could use the tire by the end of its life span. So I bought my first pro 4 service course and with two weeks of use, a cut make the rear tire unusable and I had to buy another in a hurry, and after that I could use the tires to the end of the tire, but that seemed to wear even faster than the pro 3.
After all I bought another pair of pro 4 service course, and with less than a month of use, another big cut caused by glass and other tire unusable. Tire guilt, my guilt, guilt of the road that I ride normally, I do not know, but I dont have these problems since I begin to use michelin tires.

So I decided to try something new, based on what I read and my good experience with mtb tires I bought a pair of Maxxis radiale 23c tires, I think it is really good, comfortable and was not having problems with loose rocks which is quite common for here, until yesterday I noticed a bubble about to burst.
So based on my experience, the degradation of roads in my area, with loose rocks, with broken glass, etc.. I am looking for a tire that support these conditions, has a reasonable durability and are good to be used in a possible race.
My options right now are these.
Michelin PRO 4 Endurance http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/mich ... rance.view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had good experience with pro 2 and pro 3
Continental Grand Prix http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... prix.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I use Continental before and these tires had good lifespan, but I had issues with cuts, but this is a long time ago and I dont know how they are now.
Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/rubino/#product-99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used pair of Rubino Pro without big problems.
Schwalbe Ultremo DD http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... ultremo_dd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dont have any experience with schwalbe.

I hope the text is comprehensive, and accept other suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Continental 4000s - really great all-around tire. I run them in 25c and love them.....

beardking

by beardking

have to agree with the post above, conti gp4000s tyres are brilliant. I've been running them since spring 2011 and have only had one puncture. a pinch when i hit a big pothole at speed.
they seem to wear well and while little cuts do seem to appear in them they never make it through

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

another vote for 700x23 continental 4000s
Also Michelin speediums are cheaper but pretty good for the money.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I have a bad luck with the GP4000, but it was tubular tire, not sure how the clincher version is.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72309&start=2265

I have pretty good experience with Schwalbe Durano S and non-folding gatorskin on my commute bike. They re heavy but it does the job. The Durano's seems to ride better than the gatorskin.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

The GP4000s and GP 4 Seasons have treated me well, even though they're not the best riding tires.
You could try the Specialized Roubaix Armadillo, or is it the Armadillo Roubaix?

mvogt46

by mvogt46

One vote here for Vittoria Pave EVO CG in 24mm

geedawg

by geedawg

How do the Vit Open Paves wear? Are they really that durable? I've heard awesome things about their ride and "toughness" over rough roads, but have also heard that they wear quickly and cut up pretty easily as well.

Also, +1 on the Conti GP 4000S. They don't run anywhere near as comfy as Vit Evo Open Corsas (which is what I typically run), but are waaaaay more durable and is what I typically recommend to my friends who want a low maintenance, durable tire that still runs reasonably well.

limba

by limba

I love the Conti 4000s but it seems like your roads are crap. Maybe you should get something more durable like the All Season or the Schwalbe tires with flat protection.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Definitely the best clinchers I've ever ridden are Veloflex masters. They ride great.

mvogt46

by mvogt46

geedawg wrote:How do the Vit Open Paves wear? Are they really that durable? I've heard awesome things about their ride and "toughness" over rough roads, but have also heard that they wear quickly and cut up pretty easily as well.

Also, +1 on the Conti GP 4000S. They don't run anywhere near as comfy as Vit Evo Open Corsas (which is what I typically run), but are waaaaay more durable and is what I typically recommend to my friends who want a low maintenance, durable tire that still runs reasonably well.

I've got Evo Open Corsa tubs on my Hed Stinger 6 race wheels that I only race in dry conditions. I've riden those once on damp roads in a criterium and the back wheel was slipping out occasionally round tight corners at speed...very scary at 45km/h+!!

For all other rides (training in any conditions, racing in the wet and general commuting) I ride Soul S2.0 alu clinchers with the Open Pave's. I've had them on for 10 months with no flats yet, granted they do have a few small cuts in the tread but nothing has penetrated the casing. The ride quality when paired with a latex tube is great, and the grip when cornering in the wet is fantastic.

marcio riva

by marcio riva

I want to thank everyone who gave their opinions, this was really important for me and my choice. And the winner for me is Continental Grand Prix 4000s, seems to be the best overall of all, is lightweight and has low rolling resistance, which is good for racing. It is theoretically able to resist high mileage, which is good for use in daily training. And apparently is resistant to cuts and punctures, which I intend to test soon.
Thank you very much everyone!

project3

by project3

how about schwalbe ultremo zx? i just place an order :(

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

+1 for the gp4000s since its just so durable! pro4 and vitt corsa is more of a "race day" tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Good call on the gp 4000 I was also going to recommend the vit rubino pro's but not the slick version for your type of riding.