Easiest place to save weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

That's all well and good until you lose your bottle...

nrsnow

by nrsnow

It's a really snug fit

limba

by limba

Well, let us know how it works. I got a Blackburn Slick for ten dollars. It's supposed to be under 25 grams. There are pictures of them on this site weighting 23g. Looks good, feels cheap but so far no ejections.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

easiest place to save weight = thinner butyl tubes.

02GF74

by 02GF74

even lighter if you do not fit bottle cages - I removed all of mine, plugged the holes with nylon M bolts and carry water in a rucksack

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ahhhhh.....how much does the rucksack weigh??

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Plus, by putting the water on your back instead of on your bike, the center of gravity is higher than if you carry bottles on your bike.

On the other hand, a Camelbak with water will maybe protect your back in a crash :)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I like to rock bottles for anything under 2 hours. I have an Osprey pack that is perfect for the longer rides and multiple day trips.
-Zane

Varaxis

by Varaxis

02GF74 wrote:even lighter if you do not fit bottle cages - I removed all of mine, plugged the holes with nylon M bolts and carry water in a rucksack

That's called adding weight. The weight on your body counts as well. Water on your back is in a location that is worse than on your frame, affecting your ride handling potential.

Ride with heavier shoes, body armor, more stuff in your rucksack, and you'll see what I mean. Take that rucksack off the next time you ride and you will feel much lighter and more nimble. Good for training, but f that for when performance counts.

02GF74

by 02GF74

^^^^ yaeh but it is not just about weight. I used to swear by bottles but it takes more time to pick up a bottle than to suck on a rubber hose for a quick sip plus inevitably the bottle would get covered in mud, cow crap and god knows what else so not exactly appetising or healthy. :?

The races that I entered in the past (local 3 loops of a 3 mile course approx so nothing spectacular), majority of riders we kreitted out with water backpacks.

The pros no doubt would be picking up their drink bottles at verious stations but I am long way off that sort of level to get that kind of support.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

You gotta love people who carry water bottles on MTb s. seems so so stupid to me. If your out in the mountains being a proper mtber, you need, decent multi tool, puncture/ tubeless repair solution, a banana, a gel, maybe more!, a pump, a phone, keys, waterproof jacket, wallet, light. What you gonna do with all that other than put it in a bag, so you might as well put some water in too!

If you practice to ride with weight on your back you become used to it. After all it'll be an increase in body weight of 5%.

For short rides you still need a few bits and you can buy a cheap mini camelback with 1ltr in. A friend of mine has a £4k cannondale flash and then goes and puts a giant 550ml bottle on it! Haaaa might as well of spent £1k based on weight.

I don't just skip the cages, but also the bolts!

On the road bike however I'm all for the bottles. Road riding is more subtle a sport. Aerodynamics is more important too.

Colin

by Colin

Do you not ride with a jersey? Why not make use of the pockets... But I do agree (as will most people), if you're out doing an all day back country ride, a camelback is almost a necessity!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

some pros cant wear camelbaks even if they wanted to because it covers up sponsor logos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swaits

by swaits

runningrunningjump wrote:You gotta love people who carry water bottles on MTb s. seems so so stupid to me.

How about people use whatever they like?

If I'm squeezing a 1.5 hour ride in, I'll take a bottle. Longer means a 70oz or 100oz hydration pack. Am I stupid?