Looking for inexpensive/cheap aluminum frame.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

That is a very impressive build on such a frame and budget. I have been thinking this through quite a bit for now, I think it's just a matter of finding a opportunity purchases and building it up slowly to keep the finances going into the project at a minimum. It is of a great benefit that I have a full group set to install on the thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Estelja

by Estelja

I can vouch for the Motobecane Team Champion SL. I built one in 58cm for my brother-in-law about 5 years ago. The construction and finish quality were top notch. The silver version is a stunning paint (probably heavy too). The bike rode smooth and fast for an aluminum bike.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

CerveloBert wrote:Thanks for the pinkbike link - I guess that's just one of those opportunity purchase sites like eBay.

I looked through the Planet X site and saw some decently rated frames and forks for a total of $407.00 with shipping. Not a bad price considering it's brand new. Anybody have any experience with the Planet X Team Aluminum Frame? Online reviews tend to favor this as a nice second bike to have in the stable.

Ive had the Planet x Alu in large for about a year, done maybe 5000 kms. Great bike, geometry makes it faily lively without being freaky (can sill descent without hands on bars, fe). Pretty durable, I think mine was about 1250 grms. Forks and headset are a weak point, I subbed out my Planet x fork for a second hand ´dale one and was much happier as the other one was too flexy for my 90kgs!

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

You think that fork would be too flexy for an 80kg rider? That would be the heaviest I get right at the end of the winter.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tifosi CK3 in the U.K is relatively cheap Alu frame that rides well.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I made the decision today - Planet X Alu - Here I come.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Given your new frame (congrats!) comes with the fork, try it, and if it doesnt feel strong enough you can swap it out. I felt it woudl just have a bit of "give" if you leant hard into a corner which made the bikes handling down hairpins a bit imprecise..also the "wobble test" where you wiggle the bars from side to side fast going downhill, was pretty scary!

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Wobble test is quite scary on my S2 as well actually. I'm sure the fork would require some investigation and trial and error on my part, I'm just stoked to be able to actually go to criterium races during the weekday. Can't wait to crash it!

trilocus

by trilocus

planet x alu is a great choice