storck scenero

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nicksaunders

by nicksaunders

I'm looking at getting a storck scenero and wondered what people thought about them. Are they comfortable for all day sportives, will they be quick in road races and crits. If not what should I be looking at in the same price bracket. Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

All the criteria that you listed: "Are they comfortable", "are they quick in road races or crits". All that is based on how comfortable you are able to make the bike for yourself fit wise and how quick or fast you are on a bike not the other way around.
That criteria you listed should be for a motorcycle: is it comfortable, is it fast?

If I was you I would look into what you can afford first, then look into what fit best for your type of intended use.

Almost all the bikes that are within a certain price range will perform somewhat similar to each other.
It's just a matter of bike fit and your fitness that determines if that bike is for you.

Good luck with your search.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

nicksaunders

by nicksaunders

The scenero is in my price bracket hence the reason I am looking at it. I am looking for people who ride one to tell me of their experiences.

The fit is pretty much spot on for me although the top tube length maybe on the limit. I'm 5'10''

and as for fitness, well we can all be fitter I guess

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

nicksaunders

by nicksaunders

thanks but I'm looking at the scenero.

http://www.storck-bicycle.de/en/web-anz ... t3=Scenero

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That's funny I though you had misspelled it Scenario.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Wow do you think we can please muster a helpful reply? This is how not to welcome a new member to the forums.

Nick, I used to ride a 47cm Absolutist and I just really didn't like the handling at the front end. Storcks seem to have some funny geometry up there. Most sizes are very long and low - long top tube, short head tube but the 47 actually has a taller heat tube than the 51. the head tube angles are fairly slack and the fork rakes very small (33mm as opposed to 43mm being more common) and for this reason I just couldn't get on with the handling. The larger sizes may be better with their steeper head tube angles, but the 47 really didn't work for me.

The quality of the frame was really something special - it had an excellent paint job that was very difficult to scratch. It was extremely stiff but not as harsh as you'd expect from all that rigidity. The scenareo may be more forgiving still. Of course component choice is also very important on that front.

I'd suggest you try to test ride on first to see what you make of the handling.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Once again it comes down to fit and fitness of the rider which is what it comes down to in the end as it always does.
And I believe I have stated this in my first post of this thread.
The thing about bike handling is based on rider preference and ability.
And handling can be changed by rider position, component selection and by bike fit.
Last edited by stella-azzurra on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicksaunders

by nicksaunders

I can't get a test ride unfortunately.

The other bike I'm looking at is a cervelo s2 which seems to have a similar geometry

KB

by KB

Nick - I owned a Stork 0.9 a few years ago, but the geometry is almost identical to what's shown on the websites.

What I would say about mine was that it would be great as a crit/road bike, but wouldn't recommend it for all day comfort. The 'go forward' on mine was the best of any bike I've ridden, but I always felt beat up when I got home; even my arms ached. I sold it on. They are extremely well made IMO.

CheapSkate

by CheapSkate

CarpetFibre wrote:Nick, I used to ride a 47cm Absolutist and I just really didn't like the handling at the front end. Storcks seem to have some funny geometry up there. Most sizes are very long and low - long top tube, short head tube but the 47 actually has a taller heat tube than the 51. the head tube angles are fairly slack and the fork rakes very small (33mm as opposed to 43mm being more common) and for this reason I just couldn't get on with the handling. The larger sizes may be better with their steeper head tube angles, but the 47 really didn't work for me.

The quality of the frame was really something special - it had an excellent paint job that was very difficult to scratch. It was extremely stiff but not as harsh as you'd expect from all that rigidity. The scenareo may be more forgiving still. Of course component choice is also very important on that front.

I'd suggest you try to test ride on first to see what you make of the handling.

I've been riding a 2011 Absolutist for the last few months, same geometry & fork as all the others. I got a 63 cm, it fits me very well (I'm 195 cm).

I agree Storck sizing is a bit mad:- my 63 is sized like a Cervelo, shortish reach and big stack. Great for an old man like me. Smaller sizes seem much longer & lower.

I really like the handling, I can feel the fork rake difference, the steering is a bit slower than my other bikes so it feels really stable on fast downhills. A matter of personal preference I expect.

The build quality is astonishing, the paint finish is very nice and there are nice details like steel inserts around the drop-outs, and metal inserts around the brake holes. It looks built to last. The rear entry dropouts are a bit.... mad I guess. Markus Storck likes them, so I guess we all have to like them.

I liked my Absolutist so much, I bought another one. But this has quality issues which I am trying to resolve with Storck :) :). So, your mileage may vary!

If Storck can't get me a good Absolutist, I would buy a Scenero without hesitation, I bet it rides, handles and has the same build quality, just 150 grams heavier. A really nice bike.

When sizing the frame you need to take account of the fact that the fork is a bit longer than normal (10 mm IIRC. more madness?). Look at the stack & reach figures, not the head tube length.

But it's not like other bikes, so as CarpetFibre says you are either going to have to take a punt, or find a test ride. But you would have to pry my Absolutist out of my cold, dead hands.

nicksaunders

by nicksaunders

How does it feel on all day rides. I would have thought the carbon quality qould make it very comfortable but some people seem to have other experiences

CheapSkate

by CheapSkate

Ha ha you are asking the wrong guy. I am a cynical engineer and I firmly believe all bike frames are the same as far as comfort goes. Let's face it, it's just 8 hyper stiff tubes glued together, it's not multi link suspension. If you do the analysis the vertical flex in a frame is minuscule fractions of a millimetre. A carbon frame will break long before it flexes enough for you to feel it.

I have never been able to tell any "comfort" difference between my bikes ranging from £99 ally Ribble to £1999 carbon Storck, apart from the different steering geometries and tyre pressures.

I believe the only things which affect comfort are tyre pressures & contact points - saddle & bar tape.

This attitude has saved me a fortune over the years! No need to worry about the latest bling "comfort" frame, they're all the same. Just worry about fit, quality, longevity, contact points & interface points (eg bottom bracket). And weight I suppose, if you are in a climbing frenzy.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. Please DO NOT quote immediately previous post. PP

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Thank you for clarifying this up from one engineer to another. I have carbon, aluminum (light, medium and heavy), steel, titanium and they are all basically the same. The effects of comfort come from geometric fit, tire pressure, tire size, contact points AND PHYSICAL F I T N E S S !!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Yeah I agree with the comfort thing. I really haven't felt any difference in comfort between frames. It's all about tyres, saddle and fit I reckon.

However I do think that we've come a long way in civilised society to a point that a man can buy a Storck frame regardless of his physical fitness. :hmm: