Lightweight brakes for the new wider rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dammit

by Dammit

Forgive me if this has been covered before- I am looking at some HED Stinger 9's, but the 28mm brake track is a concern.

Craig at EE has said that my (first gen) brakes won't work with those rims- which lightweight but powerful brakes will?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Dammit wrote:Forgive me if this has been covered before- I am looking at some HED Stinger 9's, but the 28mm brake track is a concern.

Craig at EE has said that my (first gen) brakes won't work with those rims- which lightweight but powerful brakes will?

The second gen EEs will work.

Camillo brakes now ship with wide rim cams and Lo pro pad holders as stock..

The THM and AX brakes both look to have plenty of clearance too

From what I can tell all the older more developed aftermarket brakes are up to the job.

mythical

by mythical

Exactly what sugarkane said, everything from the 2nd generation will work with wider rims. The latest EE's are forged and a bit nicer than their CNC'd predecessors. They're easily recognizable due to their slightly beefier brake arms, different barrel adjusters and bigger diameter cream coloured pivot bushings. See the difference between the 1st and later generations here:

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm using 7970 levers, I should probably have mentioned that.

Is anyone running Stinger 9's with the second gen EE's and DA Di2 levers?

Just for a bit of reassurance before I pull the trigger on a new pair of brake calipers and a new pair of wheels?

NGMN

by NGMN

These are specifically designed for 7900 levers and wide rims but they're pretty weighty at 260 grams:
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... &catid=183

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Dammit wrote:... Craig at EE has said that my (first gen) brakes won't work with those <HED Stinger 9 28mm brake track> rims ...
Did Craig at EE say anything about how well 2nd and later generation EE brakes would work on those rims? You didn't mention that, and it would seem strange ("anti-marketing") if Craig didn't volunteer the information that later (to include current) generation EE brakes would work, if indeed they would.

Dammit

by Dammit

The FAQ on the EE website says "If you are using 23mm rims and the 7900 levers, the most powerful set-up measurement range
of the eebrake will not be accessible, but the eebrake will still yield very good braking power"

I asked Craig about this and he replied:

"The 7900 series lever have 20% less leverage than the others.
Wider rims (23mm +) on the 1st gen. (gray bushings) eebrakes create a slightly less leverage condition as well.
The combination of these 2 above make for the least leverage.
That said, I have not had complaints on lack of power on eebrakes.
I hope thar helps."

Which is why I'm asking if someone has 28mm rims, EE brakes and 7900 levers to get their impression of what the braking is like, as the above is all based on 23mm, so adding another 5mm to the rim width potentially moves us into a very different place.

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

I am using the new 2012 SRAM Red Aerolink brakes with the wider HED. C2 rims without any issues. I am using these brakes with the new 2012 SRAM Red shifters and the supplied OEM Swisstop brake pads. I beleive that these SRAM brakes were designed to be compatible with wider rim wheels like the Zipp FC wheels that SRAM now also sells.

The brakes have three quick release settings and I am at the second setting to have about 1 mm clearance at the brake track. The third setting opens up the brakes to about 26-27mm to allow the wheels to be removed.

Modulation and feathering the brakes is light and very controllable. Full braking power is also very powerful but I have not had the need to use them in that manner. But, the HED. C2 rims are aluminum and not carbon.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

Dammit

by Dammit

So, it looks like the only way I'm going to find out if this works is to buy a set of the Gen II brakes, and a set of Stinger 9's and find out.

If the planets align and I get all the parts (looks like some Gen II EE's have just fallen through, sadly) I'll report back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com