Record rear mech max cassette question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tippster

by Tippster

Normally I'd be able to answer this myself but struggling as my rear mech isn't the current one

I've a Campagnolo record short cage rear mech from 2007. I've got a 760 miles charity ride over 9 days coming up and wanted to give myself a fall back hear for the hills as its such a long ride.

My cassette is 10 speed 11-25 record and wanted to know the max cassette the rear mech can handle? Front setup is standard 53-39

Thanks
Tippster
www.charitygiving.co.uk/WayneTipping1
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

monty dog

by monty dog

You should be able to get away with a 13-29 although Campagnolo tech docs say you shouldn't - difficultly is can't say with 100% certainty.
Just ride

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You'll need the medium cage on your derailleur in order to run the 13/29. This used to be available as a spare part. Not sure if it is still available but you could check. In addition, you'll have to use a longer chain. If you don't change the cage you could still go to a 26 providing the chain is long enough but for one tooth difference it's hardly worth it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I use a long cage campagnolo record derailleur for my 13-29 cassette.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

KB

by KB

monty dog wrote:You should be able to get away with a 13-29 although Campagnolo tech docs say you shouldn't - difficultly is can't say with 100% certainty.

As you state, Campag say no, but I used a 13x29 on a short cage rear mech for a number of years with a 50x34 compact. I had no issues with it. The only caveat is I'm too old to apply any meaningful power although that shouldn't affect performance.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

the need for a longer cage is dictated by total tooth differential in the drivetrain, and thus the total amount of chain to take up.

all Campy RD's have the upper pulley at the same distance from the cassette.

with a 13-29 cassette combined with 39-53 chainrings, the total differential is 30, which is doable with the short cage RD, but it's important to get the chain length right.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Geoff

by Geoff

You can run a 29 with conventional crank. You need to test it first and watch the B screw adjustment. There is no need to change the chain length. I wouldn't recommend running it all the time that way, but for your trip, you'll be fine.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Geoff wrote:You can run a 29 with conventional crank. You need to test it first and watch the B screw adjustment. There is no need to change the chain length. I wouldn't recommend running it all the time that way, but for your trip, you'll be fine.

sorry but you just cannot make blanket statements like this. to be safe the chain should be long enough so that the RD can accommodate the new big-big combo. it might be fine as is, it might not, we don't know.

if OP promises never to use that combo he'll be OK, but in the heat of the moment, things happen.

bad things can happen if the chain is not right.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

stella-azzurra wrote:I use a long cage campagnolo record derailleur for my 13-29 cassette.

I am using the 13-29 cassette with the 53x39 front rings hence the long cage.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Long cage works but it was really made for use when using a triple crank and the 13/29. With a double crank and the 13/29 cassette the medium cage is optimal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Why is the medium cage optimal?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The medium cage is specifically designed for the 29t cassette. Actually should not be used w a cassette smaller than 26t. Its capacity is fully capable of handling the full range with a double, unlike the short cage which is a bit of a crapshoot when running the 29t.

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

I'm another one that got away with a 13-29 and a short cage.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Can you use a 53x29 with a short cage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lig

by Lig

I too run a 53/39 and when I go to the alps slip on the 29 rear and it works just fine.

I don't think you would want to have it in the 53/29 though!

Lig.