AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quattrings

by quattrings

Not to mention they are full of nooks and crannies, I don't think that is good thing for aerodynamics... neither is "hitting a wall" :)

Quick question guys, which is the stronger brake: TR omega or Simkins egg?
The Tririg might be a little more aerodynamic but I'm not sure it will give good cable lines on my caad 4 aero, and just not crazy about the way the Tririgs look.
The idea behind the Tririg is it acts like a dual pivot brake, right?

really not sure at this point and time...
Tririg or simkins :|

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I have now owned both and the Omega is a stronger brake.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

jmh

by jmh

I've had both the Omega and Simkins. (Omega with SRAM levers on my P3 and Simkins with SRAM levers on my P2SL right now, Nokons on both.) The Simkins has a firmer lever feel and when set up with the pads as close to the rim as on the Omega and it fully engages sooner in the lever travel. I like that quicker engagment on the Simkins better than on the Omega. The Omega stops just fine, no issues with stopping power, but the Simkins feels more robust at the lever.

The Omega is much better at dealing with wide rims and going from narrow to wide rims. I could do it with the Simkins with some shaved pads for the wide rims, but with the Omega it is just the turn of an hex wrench.

mythical

by mythical

quattrings wrote:
BmanX wrote:
Mikmik wrote:
mythical wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EE brake in this topic,

that may be because the EE brakes are ridiculously expensive
EE is totally flat in its design so it is like the wind hitting a wall.

I will be doing this set up on a couple of bikes maybe.
Not to mention they are full of nooks and crannies, I don't think that is good thing for aerodynamics... neither is "hitting a wall" :)
If EE brakes weren't aero, why would Specialized spec them as standard on e.g. their $18K Venge McLaren? :noidea:
I believe partly due to their diminutive frontal profile EE brakes should be allowed to be called aero and deserve serious mention in this thread! :beerchug:

And since when should 'aero' brakes be cheap when everything else under that title typically costs more? If you wanna go faster, the ability to decelerate should also receive special priority, especially when it comes to cornering. OK, so that may not entirely apply to certain American muscle cars. :wink:

Suppose EE brakes weren't so aero. I'm still positive EE's would favor over almost any other brakes, also those under the 'aero' designation, with a wide array of parameters taken into account, such as 'deceleration-to-drag coefficient'.
Now how about aero brake and levers? Those Magura RT8s look so minimal in frontal surface area! :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

TriRig

by TriRig

As some people have testified above, you CAN have it all. The Omega is the fastest production brake on the market (we will be publishing a white paper very soon), and several EE owners have told me they prefer the Omega in terms of its power curve and overall stopping power. The Omega is also cheaper than the EE, so it seems like a win-win. It is a few grams more than the EE, but still lighter than Dura Ace, Record, and RED.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

with regard to the eebrakes, i talked to craig about a year and a half ago suggesting a fairing (carbon of course) that could snap into the main pivot holes. one could even incorporate the return spring into it, giving it actual purpose and technically being uci legal (not that i care about that...)
i may try to make that myself.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

The omega has great stopping power, not quite as much as a conventional dual pivot (7800/7900 or record or red) but surprisingly close, mine are on a P3 with USE tula bars (which have integrated brake levers, which suck the life out of braking power and feel, but are very aero.)
I was able to stop my bike rapidly from 30mph with 1 finger braking on just the front brake using this set up with out any issues. I must say i was surprised how good they are! If i had the spare cash i'd replace my road bikes brakes with them too!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

thisisatest wrote:with regard to the eebrakes, i talked to craig about a year and a half ago suggesting a fairing (carbon of course) that could snap into the main pivot holes. one could even incorporate the return spring into it, giving it actual purpose and technically being uci legal (not that i care about that...)
How much weight do you figure that will add to a pair? This is WW, and adding weight will take away some bragging rights for the manufacturer, since aero claims may not "sell" as well as weight.

wally318

by wally318

machinenoise, what I'm seein is Tula bars/levers w/ M5 brakes not...the Omega's.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

Mikmik

by Mikmik

I LOVE my Tula bars :) yes I do but man have I had difficulty in getting my rear brakes to work properly after the 5 or so bends it goes through by the time it hits the calliper. Nokon cable has worked the bestest so far to solve the issue and still then it's dissappointing. You use the front brakes to slow down I know but I would have like to emulate the breaking performance of a roadie.....wishful thinking. I doubt the Omega would solve the issue but I will most likely still buy it for the front.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

So does anyone 'feel' that much faster with them? :lol:

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I do, because I trust my brakes now. Does that have anything to do with aero, well no. However, whenever the white paper comes out I am sure it will show the aero benefit. Outside of that they fit the widest rims (my Stingers are 28mm) easily adjust between all rim widths without having to adjust cable length or tension. The only downside to that is you cannot do it on the fly, so if you swap wheels mid race you may be out of luck. Since this is weight weenies they are reasonably light at 248g per set including all hardware and pads.

So, lets check the list:

Aero
Powerful
Light
Reasonably Priced
Aesthetically pleasing :wink:

Not sure you could go wrong with the Omega on any build.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

HammerTime2 wrote:
thisisatest wrote:with regard to the eebrakes, i talked to craig about a year and a half ago suggesting a fairing (carbon of course) that could snap into the main pivot holes. one could even incorporate the return spring into it, giving it actual purpose and technically being uci legal (not that i care about that...)
How much weight do you figure that will add to a pair? This is WW, and adding weight will take away some bragging rights for the manufacturer, since aero claims may not "sell" as well as weight.

i dunno, a carbon spring/fairing vs steel wire spring might be a wash. aero+light weight, and your wallet gets lighter too!

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Thank you!!

It appears that my fanatical fixation on chasing super max aero bike parts including minute parts like aero valve stem caps all comes to near on naught....as I have suspected....and should have taken in all the literature AND my own preaching of 'buy more coach time rather than parts' to go quicker. Though I still believe that in a TT it really does make a difference because you are going max-flat-out and well you might as well get the best time for your max effort. And if buying an aero brake calliper will save you 2 seconds then it was well worth spending but really, in the amateur scene in makes no sense to fork out that amount of dollars for that little time saving doesn't it.

....though I have lost 1st place by 1 second before in a 20km TT....ouch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com