A few questions on shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JackL

by JackL

I am nearing the end of my build and have just one more thing to purchase, some shifters. I am running a force fd, a rival rd, ultegra cassette and a controltech carbon crankset. Would somebody be able to explain the features of the newer force shifters as apposed to older rival or apex shifters as I believe they have different features such as double tap, trim etc. I am not sure there is a wanted section so it if is not against the rules, I am willing to buy off forum members? thanks

Also one last question...why the hell are shifters soo blood expensive compared to other components :x :noidea:

Mod edit:

Try this link

sungod

by sungod

aside from weight/bling factor, i think the main difference between newer sram shifters and older ones is the zero-loss shifting, and whether the feature is on both shifters or on rear only

in sram's own words...

Zero- Loss simply means, well, zero loss—when you push on the lever, for an upshift or down shift, the cable is engaged instantly—zero loss of movement. There is no middle-ground where you're waiting for the shift to come. Gear changes are instant and precise

there're both for sale and wanted sections...

viewforum.php?f=23

price probably reflects their nature - shifters are safety critical items (imagine no brakes) and they have lots of components, which have to work precisely for consistent shifting, survive the weather, bumps and scrapes, brake operating forces etc., and continue to operate for a decent period of time without getting sloppy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwb

by dwb

All SRAM road shifters are double tap, just like Shimano stuff is STI and Campag stuff is ErgoPower.

Only Red has zero loss on both sides and carbon shift and brake levers. New 2012 Red eliminated trim due to the front derailleur redesign.

Force, Rival, and Apex levers are functionally identical and only have zero loss on the left/front shifting. Trim is on the big ring. Internals are the same, but Apex has aluminum brake and shift levers. The brake lever is changed to carbon on Rival and Force and Force has a magnesium shift lever.

Of course old, old 2007 or before Rival had silver aluminum brake levers. Along with Force of the same vintage, the shift paddle has a different shape. No zero loss on the right/rear shifting, but I cannot speak for the front, although these old shifters did have trim on the small ring.