Would 200gr savings in wheels make a noticeable difference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JWolf

by JWolf

Not sure on bikes, but rotating weight on a race car is 6 times more important than non rotating weight. Best lace to save weight in my opinion is the wheels and the cranks. You will definitely feel it.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I miss the days when 'scienceiscool' would come in and debunk these threads.

I highly recommend having a search or using 'analytical cycling', this stuff has been covered before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Of relevancy is the value of Rotational Inertia discussed in the latest aero-wheel test from Velo News.
See the pdf linked at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105402

Or look up VeloNews.com -> Tech -> Wheel/Moment of Inertia
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kavitator

by kavitator

test we do was 4 intervals.
1.1670g
10min recovery
2.1000g low profile carbon tubulars
10min rec
3. clinchers
10min rec
4.1000g tubulars

between hole interval 2 chekpoints

difference was couple seconds each test, puls almost same, test was within 1 h period. no wind and nice summer weather.

kavitator

by kavitator

if ride is constant tempo ride there verz little difference betwen 280g rim and 500g rim. it is more how it feels. when come to changes in speed there is differnce. but how much in time actualy must be done some test wiyh longer climb than 7 min. but in rideing- feeling lighter is more lively and easyer to speed up.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Tinea Pedis wrote:I miss the days when 'scienceiscool' would come in and debunk these threads.
If you remember, ScienceIsCool lost his cool.

sawyer

by sawyer

At extreme ends of the spectrum you can notice weight in some circumstances IME ... I used to have a pair of the old Shimano WH-R540 wheels which are 1900g and have a hugely heavy rim weighing around 700g or so each. At speeds of 40kmh+ you could certainly notice they took more effort to stop than Zipp 202s.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rustychain

by rustychain

I own several sets of wheels. My favorites are not the lightest. IMO you need to consider all aspects of the wheel and the intended applacation. Consider a flat TT, weight is less an issue here. Racing crits? Weight counts more but stiffness IMO is more important. So to answer the question " is 200 grams noticeable?" I answer with, depends :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

jordan00

by jordan00

Hey everyone, just after some opinions.

Ive got a handbuilt set of H Plus Son archetypes laced to King hubs, weight roughly 1650g. Im thinking about getting a set of the Campag Shamal Milles when they are released, as a do it all training wheelset. They come in at a claimed 1425g.

Would you just switch the H Plus son between bikes? Would the ~200g weight difference provide a noticeable difference in performance?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

weenie

by weenie

200g isnt much. its all about price/gram and if you can save 200+100+100+50+200 etc.. = oh look 1kg less.
1500-1600gr for alu wheels is pretty much average (ie not bad wheels).

the other part is how good your wheels feel and roll.. archetype + king hubs should pretty good!

jordan00

by jordan00

Thanks for the advice! I guess getting a 1400g alu clincher isnt going to replicate a 1000-1100g tub! might save the pennies for a bit longer. :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

jordan00 wrote:Thanks for the advice! I guess getting a 1400g alu clincher isnt going to replicate a 1000-1100g tub! might save the pennies for a bit longer. :thumbup:

No it isn't.

And more to the point the route of thinking behind your question is a blind alley and you need to back out of it :-)

Lighter clinchers ends up meaning compromising the rim stiffness and durability - see the various Stans rim threads on this by way of example.

You end up not comparing apples with apples - to do that you'd need to go to noodly 800g set of tubulars (if such a thing exists)

Road feel is very different too with a tub.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

This is weightweenies. Stop being curmudgeons. 200g is fantastic, drop the weight. If you're too heavy or powerful for flexy wheels, then you probably should be visiting wattage or slowtwitch.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

200g won't make a real world difference but hey don't let that stop you. I change all kinds of stuff to loose a few grams and wonder why I bothered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

A lighter wheelset will not make you faster but IME the feeling is unique.