Bad enough to want to make you buy through your LBS again...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

agent86

by agent86

Ok I'm sure this is probably old news but I think I must add my recent 2 cents worth to the insults we must continually come across when buying through an internet mail order dealer.

My gripe is with Bike24.com

Refer to images below;

note amazing price for the tricon 1450*

*note delivery date unknown

*you guessed it available in campy although with a premium of 126 euro

My temptations did succumb hence the request for more information on my part followed by their response.

Am I over reacting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerozy

by aerozy

Dont get me wrong but I do think your over reacting. Bike24 is one of my favourite online retailers. They have some of the cheapest prices and there "stock" notices have always been spot on. If a product is in stock I've had the package at my door step the next week.

They answered your question about wheel availability with a "we dont know" which is pretty believable. The title says wheelset so thats both front and rear. Maybe I havent understood your issue.

My experience from local LBS's actually keep me away from them. Generally bad knowledge on high end products and lets not speak about the prices.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

agent86

by agent86

I have no doubt that your experience with them has been good when ordering a product at a realistic price which is in stock.

and fair enough maybe I am over reacting, but let me ask you if you physically went to visit a local retailer with the interests of buying a product listed in their catalogue which you received that morning only to be told sorry no stock we don't know when it will be restocked however we have this slightly different version for and extra $150?

I have been in retail and its a classic marketing ploy which gives me the shits..

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Couldn't the reason for no stock be because it's such a good offer (20% off) and they've sold out?
If the stock levels on the website are normally accurate as aerozy says then I can't see what the problem is.

agent86

by agent86

Ok I'll try to be less cryptic

If there is no stock of the product with no foreseeable resolution then maybe they should stop advertising the product as an option

Sorry can't make it much clearer

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Yeah, nuke 'em 'til they glow.

Give me a break. The web page says "delivery date unknown", and they provided what appears to be a very reasonable reply to your email.

Would you believe it, the old delivery date unknown on the Shimano option, leaving only a higher priced Campy option on the wheelset at a good price from an internet bike shop trick? 2nd time you've fallen for it this week. They're secretly operated by Kaos.

agent86

by agent86

I'll pay that, still annoying though..

ave

by ave

It basically means that the price reduction was for Shimano wheels only.
Probably they had a bit of stock to move, so they made a SALE, and they run out of stock.

dhphat

by dhphat

Always support your LBS
Rapha cycling's Ed Hardy

SSB

by SSB

Dude, get used to online shopping if you're too cheap to pay full price at your LBS. It happens all the time, whether it be only a certain colour of Speedplay or only certain sizes of handlebars that you're getting a massive discount on.

I've gotten a lot of sweet deals through the internet and saved thousands over buying locally, so the occasional disappointment doesn't faze me. There's only one LBS I buy from in this city and that's because the owner there is an awesome guy who prices really fairly. Everywhere else you get a bucketload of attitude and the privilege of paying double for that.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Ahillock

by Ahillock

dhphat wrote:Always support your LBS

Always? No thanks, don't think so.

agent86

by agent86

Advertising unavailable products at unobtainable prices is pretty shit form really

I suppose from the responses you guys have given it seems to be a fairly common and tolerated occurnce

Dalai

by Dalai

As mentioned above agent86. Probably had stock but as a great price sold quickly...

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I personally don't understand the issue here? :noidea: The website states clearly that they are out of stock and don't have a firm delivery date. Very different than claiming they have delivery date and will get it to you in 3-5 days only to get an email later on stating they don't have any in stock and they still keep your money.

Nothin to see here guys. Time to move on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsinclair

by jsinclair

agent86 wrote:Advertising unavailable products at unobtainable prices is pretty shit form really

I suppose from the responses you guys have given it seems to be a fairly common and tolerated occurnce

No, its just that most people don't throw a tantrum and act like a douche when something doesn't go their way.

They were for sale at this price, sold out, and you were too slow. End of story.